The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
2.5
  • The characters are appealing and the premise is a neat one, but there was a point in the book at which I found myself skimming more than I was reading
  • I decided that I would ask August tonight
  • I found myself skimming to get to the truth about the mother, and in doing so I missed some plot elements that I would probably have otherwise enjoyed

• by story3girl
      To be honest, I didn’t like this book very much. The characters are appealing and the premise is a neat one, but there was a point in the book at which I found myself skimming more than I was reading.

Set in the 1960’s South, this is the story of a motherless white girl and her black nanny who find themselves on the run.

The action is set in motion

when the nanny tries to register to vote and is attacked by the local white men.

Burdened with a question of what happened to her mother, and eager to escape the father who put the mother’s memory in question, the little girl breaks her nany out of prison and together they travel to a town on the basis of nothing more substantial than a notation on the back of a picture ...

• of Black Mary that the girl finds in her mother’s belongings.

On arriving in the town, the pair find a trio of sisters who raise bees for honey - honey embellished with the same picture of Black Mary.

At this point, I was fascinated.

However, this is where the book seemingly fizzles.

The subsequent plots are interesting; however, there is such a reluctance to explore the answers to the

mystery which brought us here that I became frustrated.

There would be teasers: “I decided that I would ask August tonight.

” Then, the inevitable and predictable interference.

I found myself skimming to get to the truth about the mother, and in doing so I missed some plot elements that I would probably have otherwise enjoyed.

This is not a badly written book exactly but, to me, the structure detracted from the overall enjoyment.

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17120555271031/k2311a0512/5.12.06