She and Him (Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward)  » Music  »
  • Months later, I found out that she was releasing a CD under the band name, She and Him

• by thislimehasnojuice

She and Him is the name of the band formed by Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward. I first heard the vocal stylings of actress Zooey Deschanel in the movie “Elf” where she sang “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” with Will Ferrell. It immediately struck me that she had a stone cold, phenomenol voice! Her voice seemed like it came from a totally different era. It wasn’t this

sweet, sugary, sing-song voice common of modern day pop stars. Her voice was deep, rich, vibrant, and strong.

Months later, I found out that she was releasing a CD under the band name, “She and Him”. I RARELY buy CDs, but I just had to have this one. I heard some of the songs on her MySpace Band page and I really liked them, so I ...

• figured the CD would be a safe bed.

The CD, sadly, didn’t meet all of my expectations. I’ve listened to the CD from start to stop several times, and have memorized many of the songs. I guess I just had higher expectations for Zooey. I feel like with the album, she couldn’t decide if she wanted to sound like a throw back to Patsy Cline or

a throwback to Peggy Lee. Either way, her sound might be unique as compared to the music of TODAY, but her album doesn’t sound any different than something produced in the fifties.

Her songs are catchy, however. My favorite would be “Why Do You Let Me Stay Here”. If I had it to do over again, I more than likely would not have purchased this album.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 142512550990931/k2311a1225/12.25.08