Graco Lovin Hug Swing  » Baby care  »
2.5
  • Besides my griping over matters both petty and potentially dangerous, I think the swing is ok if you aren't looking for a great musical score or a visually stimulating mobile that stays put

• by holli

I purchased this swing thinking that my little one would spend many peaceful hours swinging back and forth in it. When she first came home from the hospital, she loved it. Putting her in the swing after her bottle resulted in her falling asleep and somemuch needed down time for me. That all changed after about 4 weeks. Now, at 2 months old, my baby screams bloody murder when I put her in the swing. I suppose this has something to do with the mobile falling on top of her. I think it traumatized her.

The swing was a bit of a pain to put together. I didn’t do it myself so this is not first had info, merely speculation. I base this assumption off how many times my boyfriend interrupted me during Desperate Housewives to ask me to read the directions and look at parts. He interrupted me so many times that I ended up having to

watch the episode the next day online.

The swing has 6 speeds and a number of songs and white noise settings as well as a timer. The songs range from classical to something that sounds like circus music. Some of the songs are annoying, some are cute, but all have horrible sound quality.

As for the white noise…I don’t even know what to say. There’s a noise that sounds like static, which because of the poor sound quality is really annoying to listen to. It actually reminds me of the music of Converter, an industrial noise band whose music is discordant staticky beats. There’s another white noise sound that is birds chirping and water flowing and some other sound that I have yet to identify (frogs croaking??) This combination is too much for the senses.

The swing itself functions nicely. It makes a satisfying clicking noise everytime it pulls back, which I find surprisingly relaxing. There ...

• is a tray with cutouts for 2 cups or bottles (I mentioned this in my stoller review, and I feel compelled to mention it now: Why do these companies assume babies are so thirsty that they need multiple cup holders in everything?)and a section for food. On either end of the tray is a toy zebra and a toy giraffe which spin and do other things to amuse the child who manipulates them. I haven’t tested out the swing on speeds 3-6 yet. Speed numero uno seemed to satisfy my newborns thirst for adventure, while speed two was taking a walk on the wild side and did not go over so well. #2 is actually quite fast.

The swing runs on batteries which annoys me to no end, despite the fact that I haven’t had to replace them yet.

As mentioned above, the swing also has a mobile that is immobile- as far as I can tell. If

it spins or does anything I haven’t figured out how to make it work. What it did do is fall on my baby, luckily because I had it swiveled far back, my baby only got hit with a plush elephant and not with the plastic. The mobile affixed to the arm with a ball and it just didn’t want to stay in the socket. Maybe the various animals on the mobile wanted to swing too..:) Unfortunately, Mr. Elephant, Mr. Giraffe, and Mr.Lion have been banished to the closet. I wouldn’t want them falling on the baby again.

Besides my griping over matters both petty and potentially dangerous, I think the swing is ok if you aren’t looking for a great musical score or a visually stimulating mobile that stays put. I’m sure there are many other swings out there that are at around the same price point and that may be better. This swing is neither bad nor good…its just meh.

John says :

This is not a Lovin Hug swing but another Graco Swing Silhouette , that we just purchased from Babies R Us. I followed all instructions, place my son 3 weeks and 10 lbs in the seat, strapped him in, lightly lowered the food tray, started the swing and within 5 seconds he was screaming bloody murder, he went on for 30 seconds. I thought it was our halogen recessed lights shining in his eyes, so I turned those off and turned our table lamps on, he was still screaming, after 1 minute he stopped and went to sleep. I reached down to rub his feet and noticed that they had been pinned under the center piece of the table, that section is about 1 inch away from the seat when the tray is lowered. That rediculous piece that protrudes down nearly crushed my baby`s feet and I can`t forgive myself for not even thinking that the food tray would be the greatest hazard. Anyone else have this issue???

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 541912545100931/k2311a1219/12.19.08