Graco Pack & Play Play Yard  » Baby care  »
  • Because I was in such a state of turmoil and sticker shock, I procrastinated until the last week before my baby was born before I bought anything
  • One of my first stops was my neighborhood Target where I found the Graco Pack & Play Play Yard
  • At first glance, I thought it was merely a playpen, and I passed it by because it seemed small for a playpen
  • Now that my baby is a little bigger, I don't have this problem
  • The bassinet portion of the Pack & Play is bigger then a typical bassinet and finding sheets and a plastic mattress protector to fit has been a bit of an issue

• by holli

When I became pregnant, I had no idea what baby care basics I would need beyond a crib and clothes. As my due date approached, I began to recieve mail order catalogs from various companies telling me all the things I needed so that my spawn would have the perfect layette. Baby wipe warmers, $900 strollers, curved pillows…the list went on and on and I became completely overwhelmed because I felt like I would be a bad, neglectful mother if I didn’t purchase every creature comfort item in the catalogs. More worrisome was how purchasing all of these items would impact my bank account.

Because I was in such a state of turmoil and sticker shock, I procrastinated until the last week before my baby was born before I bought anything. One of my first stops was my neighborhood Target where I found the Graco Pack & Play Play Yard.

for a playpen. When I went back and looked at again, I realized it was also a bassinet AND a changing table. Upon that realization, I felt like the heavens had opened up and showered rainbows and kisses upon my head. I was elated, because not only did this miraculous product solve 3 furniture dilemmas for cheap ($100), but it was also compact, which was important because I live in a cramped NYC apartment.

We (my boyfriend and I) brought it home and put it together. I was surprised at how easy the thing was to assemble. Out of everything we purchased for baby, this product was by far the easiest to put together. After assembling it, we put it in the living room and waited for the baby to come.

The baby came (and is now 8 weeks old) and I am thrilled with this product and it’s ease of use. At first I was worried that the changing table wasn’t sturdy enough because it hangs over the end ofthe ...

• bassinet, but it has been fine. A few issues with the changing table is that it tends to slope downward a little, which can cause the baby to roll onto his/her side, especially when they are really tiny. Now that my baby is a little bigger, I don’t have this problem. Also, the bottom part of the changing table is covered in vinyl, which is easy to clean. The sides of the changing table are made of a nylon fabric and they tend to stain and be a bit harder to clean when baby has an accident.

The bassinet portion of the Pack & Play is bigger then a typical bassinet and finding sheets and a plastic mattress protector to fit has been a bit of an issue. I finally resorted to using a regular crib sheet and tucking it under mattress. The mattress is fabric covered, so it is also advisable to put something down to protect it from various bodily fluids that babies tend to expell on

a regular basis.

The Pack & Play also has a little musical moving mobile with stuffed animals dangling off of it. I found this an invaluable way to distract the baby in the early weeks when she hated getting her diaper changed and cried throughout the whole process. Now, she loves the giraffe stuffed animal, so much so that her first smile was directed at it.

I haven’t used the playyard portion yet, because my baby is too small, but it is roomy and the baby can see out of the sides through the mesh covering.

The really great thing about the Pack & Play is that it is very portable. It has wheels on one side so it is easy to drag around the house, but it also folds up and can fit into a bag (thoughtfully included) so you can take it anywhere. I also like the little detachable 2 tier nylon holder that attaches to the side of the playyard. Itis big enough to hold wipes and the small diaper packages.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 541912545090931/k2311a1219/12.19.08