Bose SoundDock  » Electronics  »
  • After I bought my iPod touch, the system looked much better together
  • I liked the smallness of it at first, but after losing it a million times, I found myself wishing it were a bit bigger
  • The power cord was another issue for me too
  • Bose is supposedly one of the best speaker companies around, so I was really looking forward to see (or should I say 'hear') how my music would sound
  • I think that if you are going to pay $299 for iPod speakers, they should last for a few years

• by holli

I recieved the Bose SoundDock iPod speakers as a Christmas gift 2 years ago and needless to say, I was thrilled. For years I had been suffering as my bass heavy industrial and electronic music was reduced to tinny sounding bleeps and bloops through my Altec Lansing speakers.

Lookswise, the design of the SoundDock is rather spartan - a curved speaker surrounded by a black plastic casing and a dock connector smack in the middle. When I first recieved the SoundDock, I had a white colored Ipod, which took away some of the design sleekness. After I bought my iPod touch, the system looked much better together. The system comes with a remote control which is very small and light. I liked the smallness of it at first, but after losing it a million times, I found myself wishing it were a bit bigger. I also found the

remote limiting as it was capable of adjusting the volume and changing the song on the iPod, but could not access the EQ or videos, or anything else. The power cord was another issue for me too. It is heavy and burdensome.

Bose is supposedly one of the best speaker companies around, so I was really looking forward to see (or should I say ‘hear’) how my music would sound. After plugging all the power cords in and selecting which piece of plastic to put around the dock connector, I was ready to go.

I tested out the SoundDock on some really bass heavy songs and was impressed by the sound quality and the volume capacity. It wasn’t on par with a stereo system, but it was by far the best iPod speaker system I had heard. Music sounded clear and crisp and the bass was much more ...

• realized then with my Altec Lansing speakers. I also liked that I could play it in the kitchen and hear my music through the rest of the apartment. At first I was scared to turn the volume up really high because I didn’t want to blow the speakers. Eventually, after the newness of the speakers wore off, I turned the system up quite high, which did result in some sound distortion.

I really loved my Bose SoundDock, but as the saying goes, all good things must come to an end. This past summer my music would suddenly cut out while playing it. Jiggling the iPod or propping something behind it so it sat at an angle would make the music come back on again. At first I thought there was a loose wire, but upon further examination, I found that the metal plug (I don’t know the proper

terminology for the part) that connects the iPod to the SoundDock had become loose and was pulling away from the docking station. The problem became worse and worse until eventually no amount of propping or jiggling made the music play. So on that note, I have to say that I give the SoundDock bad marks for it’s shoddy construction. I think that if you are going to pay $299 for iPod speakers, they should last for a few years. Then again, every iPod I have owned has broke after a year too, so why should I expect anything different from the speakers?

After my SoundDock died, I needed to get new speakers. I almost bought another SoundDock, but at the last minute, changed my mind. I loved the performance, but I was so mad about it breaking that I couldn’t justify giving Bose $300 for a product that wasn’t going to last.

Bose SoundDock

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161912545080931/k2311a1219/12.19.08