Breville Spectra Kettle
1.0
  • My mum told me that my dad insisted on buying it and expressed her distaste she really doesn't like it and does not like the fact that my dad forked out the best part of £60 for it as well
  • However, my folks tend to use this feature much more than they need to and I think that if you do not need to use hot water often then it is actually a big waste of energy
  • But the biggest issue for me would be the safety of the kettle

• by LSK

When I visited my folk’s place recently I was surprised to see this glowing kettle sitting in the corner of the kitchen shelf. My mum told me that my dad insisted on buying it and expressed her distaste she really doesn’t like it and does not like the fact that my dad forked out the best part of £60 for it as well! Like me, my mum is very much into simple looking products and finds things with fancy frills and flashing lights a little bit tacky.

So I guess that is the first thing about this kettle which did not take my fancy. Whilst the chrome design is nice and makes it look

elegant, there are multi-coloured lights which change colours whilst the kettle is boiling which makes the kettle look quite gimmicky and classless.

Whilst I am not a fan of the flashing lights I do think that the other feature of this kettle the “keep warm” function is actually quite useful. Basically, by pressing down a button at the top of the kettle it will heat the water periodically after it boils in order for it to remain hot. I can imagine that this feature is pretty good when it comes to entertaining guests as the water will remain hot enough to keep the teas and coffees flowing. However, my folks tend to ...

• use this feature much more than they need to and I think that if you do not need to use hot water often then it is actually a big waste of energy.

The biggest negative point about this kettle is that the lid came loose once when my sister was pouring a cup of tea. Whilst she was not injured there was a puff of hot steam which came out, and if the kettle was not angled away from her at the time then at the very least her hand would have gotten scorched quite badly. She did say that this had happened once before with my dad, so from these incidents I

would question the safety of the kettle.

Overall I would give this kettle a score of 2 out of 10: I think that if you are into conventional products with a bit of a gimmick-twist to them then you would like it. But the biggest issue for me would be the safety of the kettle; my parents have since gone back to using the previous Hitachi kettle which is still functional albeit a little dated.

Even if I did think that this kettle was safe to use I also think that it is greatly over-priced and I could find a nice-looking kettle with no frills for a more reasonable price. If I was you, I would leave this product alone.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 531712543930631/k2311a1217/12.17.08