The Great Pyranees  » Pets  »
  • The Pyranees is a perfect ten in my eyes and I would recommend this breed to anyone who has livestock to care for

• by RebeccaLynn

Oh! What a wonderful breed of dog! I so completely adored my Great Pyranees, Bailey, until his death in 2000. The Great Pyranees is from the herding group. Bailey’s biggest job was to herd the kids around the yard since we didn’t have any livestock at the time.

The Pyranees ccame from the Pyranean mountains and I was very interested to find out that the breed all most died out completely during World War One. After the war, a small group began rebuilding the breed by going into the Pyranean mountains and buying a few

puppies from the indiginous peoples.

From what I have read, the group began becoming successful in rebuilding the breed and exported some of their’ breeding dogs to the United States to a small group of breeders who were dedicated to bringing back the Great Pyranees but then World War Two hit and the breed was all ost wiped out again, though I can not find the reason that the dogs would be destroyed. Long story short, the breed is back! The Great Pyranees is like having a one hundred forty pound, furry angel beside ...

• you! The Pyranees is a fierce protector of his ‘herd’.

They will fight off wolves, bear, big cats and wild dogs to protect the livestock that they are guarding. But what is nice is the fact that they will not harm or even upset your’ livestock.

They tend to move through the herd without startling the adults or babies and they take extra special care of the babies. To a Pyranees, you and your’ children are part of the herd.

My pyranees loved, loved, loved playing with our children. They would crawl all over him

and it seemed like he was always smiling.

A Pyraneed will calm you when you are upset just by sitting beside you. I adore this breed and hope to have another one in the near future.

The Pyranees is a perfect ten in my eyes and I would recommend this breed to anyone who has livestock to care for. The Pyranees is nocturnal so they are at work while you are asleep.

These are truly furry angels and if you have the space for him to roam and you can handle a very large dog, this one is a can’t miss!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 291612539160331/k2311a1216/12.16.08