Penang Butterfly Farm  » Travel  »
No. 830, Jalan Teluk Bahang, 11050 Penang, Malaysia
  • Imagine yourselves in an area with tropical flowers such as wild orchids, and plants, and surrounded by countless butterflies that's the experience I have during my visit there
  • Besides butterflies, you will also find other animals and insects there including iguanas, mantis, etc. The most significant of them all, and my personal favourite, has to be the giant alligator snapper turtle
  • I think the huge turtle is easily more than 100 years old

• by honest.guy

I was in Penang for vacation over the weekend. I visited the Penang Butterfly Farm which is located quite far away from Georgetown. It is located after the Batu Ferringhi stretch and before the newly built hydroelectric dam. This was my second visit to this farm; the first was many years ago.

I was surprised to see the farm actually transformed into a very remarkable place. During my first visit, the farm has only a few butterflies left and was in a very bad condition. However, this time, it was totally different. Upon paying the RM 8 entrance fee (around

USD$ 2.28, you also get 20% discount if you bring along your Jusco card) and entering the premises, I was greeted by a large amount of colourful butterflies. There were easily thousands of butterflies in the farm. Most of them belong to the butterfly species which are available in Malaysia. However, I only saw few Rajah Brooke butterflies in the area. But the entire scene was amazing. The design of the area has also been changed and now looks like a tropical forest. Imagine yourselves in an area with tropical flowers such as wild orchids, and plants, and surrounded ...

• by countless butterflies that’s the experience I have during my visit there.

Besides butterflies, you will also find other animals and insects there including iguanas, mantis, etc. The most significant of them all, and my personal favourite, has to be the giant alligator snapper turtle. It’s huge! There are 2 small snapper turtles at the aquarium next to the big one, and those are 7 years old snapper turtles. I think the huge turtle is easily more than 100 years old. Other than that, you can also find some weird looking insects and reptiles in the exhibition room.

There are some lizards, spiders, scorpions, frogs. After this small room, you will see some dried insects on display, detailing their places of origin.

Overall, I really enjoy my trip here. The RM 8 price might look a bit expensive but I assure you that once you stepped into the butterfly farm, you will feel it’s worth the money. The only bad point I can think of is that this butterfly farm is located quite far away from the city centre. You will need to drive for 30-40 minutes from Georgetown and much longer if you’re coming from Balik Pulau.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381412537850831/k2311a1214/12.14.08