Owens General Contractor Holyoke, MA  » Business  »
142 Jarvis Ave, Holyoke, MA 01040
  • He really took the time to understand our needs and budget and put his years of experience to work to find the best solution to my situation
  • What impressed me in particular was the time they took on some details that we had not initially foreseen
  • To avoid a problem with water runoff leaking in, they blocked the lowest part of the window with a few bricks and mortar after we saw the potential problem
  • Owens General Contractors is all that and I would strongly recommend them for any work

• by The Mad Reviewer

This past summer I hired Owens General Contractors to do a small job at my house. It’s an older home and the property is on a hill, resulting in a fairly steep grade along the sides of the house leading from the front to the back. On one side, there was a dilapidated sidewalk with three short groups of stairs. It was full of cracks and the stairs were falling apart, making it a hazard as well as an eyesore.

I contacted Owens to see what could be done. The owner, Pete, made an appointment and showed up at the agreed time (not many contractors are known for their promptness) with a pad and measuring tape. We discussed the options and we decided to rip everything out, re-grade it to an even slope and

put in a nice new tarred sidewalk. He really took the time to understand our needs and budget and put his years of experience to work to find the best solution to my situation. He quoted me a total price which was very reasonable for the project and we agreed on a timetable for the work. The quote was clearly written and covered all the details that we discussed.

His men appeared on the appointed morning and began the demolition. Despite their use of large machinery (jackhammer, bobcat tractor and dump truck) in close proximity to the house, a fence and several delicate shrubs, they caused absolutely no collateral damage. They were as quite as possible (given the use of a jackhammer) and were invariably polite while they worked. By the end of the ...

• day, the sidewalk and stairs were gone and an even slope had been created. The next day the crew was back with their paving equipment. In a few hours we had a beautiful new sidewalk. Every time I use it I am reminded about what a great job they did and how much value to project has added to my home.

What impressed me in particular was the time they took on some details that we had not initially foreseen. The area when the new sidewalk met the driveway is a bit complicated and could have looked really terrible. Owens took the time to cut away part of the driveway and an adjacent stone way so it could all come together gracefully. This work was not part of his original quote but he saw

that it was needed so he did it without charging extra.

When the slope was re-graded a garage window ended up right at the new ground level. To avoid a problem with water runoff leaking in, they blocked the lowest part of the window with a few bricks and mortar after we saw the potential problem. Again, no extra charge. When the job was done they left the area cleaner than it was before they started. There were no rocks or piles of debris or garbage. The area was ready to be planted with flowers and shrubs.

You hear so many horror stories of incompetent and unethical contractors that it’s really nice when you find that that’s talented, reliable and trustworthy. Owens General Contractors is all that and I would strongly recommend them for any work.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 411212536841131/k2311a1212/12.12.08