Masters of Horror: John Carpenter’s Cigarette Burns  » Movies  »
2.5
  • That can definitely be said for the acting of Norman Reedus who plays Sweetman, the theatre owner
  • I know if I saw a asian butler sliced up from head to toe then gouge his own eyes out, I think that I would convey a little more feeling that just a blank star and walking away
  • It was one I didn't expect and I thought it added a unique element
  • All in all, for only being an hour long, Carpenter's Cigarette Burns is a decent movie and if you have some spare time, I suggest checking it out

• by Ruthie Holiday

“La Fin Absolue du Monde”. The Absolute End of the World, a film so powerful, so personal that it is said to make the viewers turn homicidal. A theatre owner and finder of many a lost films is hired by an eccentric and more than creepy millionaire to find the fabled film only to see the true strength the movie posses first hand.

With a plot summery like that, who could resist watcing this short film, of sorts?

This was a real rollercoaster for me because

it seems like it goes from good to bad and back again. That can definitely be said for the acting of Norman Reedus who plays Sweetman, the theatre owner.

One minute he is void of any emotion other than in his voice. His face, cold and vapid and then in a single moment, he lets him self go.

I know if I saw a asian butler sliced up from head to toe then gouge his own eyes out, I think that I would convey a ...

• little more feeling that just a blank star and walking away. A plus to film is the gore.

Although, some of the scenarios where the blood and guts is placed is a little unrealistic and plain campy; such as the scene where our odd millionaire has sliced his abdomen open and proceeds to wind his intenstines through the movie projector. It sort of ruins the intense decapitation scene earlier in the film.

Cigarette Burns kept my attention and I wanted to not only know what

happens and find out if Sweetman sees this film of flims but I wanted to see it. I wanted to know “what all the fuss was about.

” It has an unearthly twist in the story but isn’t played up so much that it’s cheesy. It was one I didn’t expect and I thought it added a unique element.

All in all, for only being an hour long, Carpenter’s Cigarette Burns is a decent movie and if you have some spare time, I suggest checking it out.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111112535791031/k2311a1211/12.11.08