Yankee Pellet Stove  » Housewares  »
2.5
  • My first winter in my large victorian home cost me roughly $5,500 in oil to heat
  • The heat from the stove is very intense and I love the warmth it gives off
  • My overall opinion is that I am glad i bought it, it is practical and has saved me a lot of money in fuel costs

• by John Green

I purchased a Yankee Pellet Stove 5 years ago as an alternative for heating my home due to high oil prices. I payed roughly $3,200 for the stove. My first winter in my large victorian home cost me roughly $5,500 in oil to heat.

I needed another way, without always paying large sums for 100 or so gallons of oil every time I was running low, or as it happened ran out. I would like to give my direct and honest opinion about the stove as I have experienced for, now my fifth winter in Vermont.

The stove is practical in the sense that I can purchase pellets

to fuel it in as small quantities as I can afford. If I can only afford $100 at the time I buy like 14-20 bags, as they range from $5 to $7 a bag.

I really like this, rather than needing $3-400 in cash to buy the minimum 100 gallons of oil, or paying hundreds of dollars a month on a fuel budget including during the summer time. The heat from the stove is very intense and I love the warmth it gives off.

There is no real odor like with wood and the ash from the pellets is very minimal. This is perfect for me because I ...

• do not like cleaning up things frequently since I am a busy professional.

The stove is suppose to heat 3000 square feet, however this is not true. I have many cold spots and due to this I close off rooms and have to position fans around to circulate the warm air.

This upsets me since I can not use all the rooms of my house in the winter. The stove itself looks nice in my dining room and ads a type of formal charm.

a lot of money in fuel costs. I do really miss the warmth from my oil heat and the fact i can use all my rooms.

if I was a little richer, in all honesty I would stick with oil and say bye bye to the stove. Its more work, you need to lug in 40 pound bags of pellets, and lately you need to find the pellets.

Some days its more work than its worth, but zI need to deal with it. if your someone who needs a little help in the cold winters then i would suggest it, but be ready for a lot of maintenance and added work.

Marilyn says :

What would cost the pellett stove to smoke up my livingroom? We have been using the stove this fall and for some reason it had smoke coming out of it. Last month we cleaned it getting it ready for the winter. And another thing..you know that brick thing that goes around that shoot thing where the pellett come out of? We notice that for some reason these rusty spots where appearing. What costed that?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 531112535771031/k2311a1211/12.11.08