Thrifty Car Rental Orlando Airport  » Car rental  »
Orlando Sanford International Airport 1200 Red Cleveland Blvd. Sanford, FL
  • I know it wasn't our fault, but I've heard of car rental firms trying to nickel and dime customers before
  • I think I would rent from them again, but only if we get a steal of a deal again

• by thislimehasnojuice

We arrived around 9pm at the Sanford Airport just north of Orlando, FL. We had previously booked our mini van rental through a popular travel website which made our reservation for us through Thrifty Car Rental. After we got our luggage, we made our way to the car rental area of the airport. There were counters for all the well known rental firms with friendly employees helping the waiting customers, except for the Thrifty counter which was completely vacant. Immediately we began to panic, as we had secured a steal of a deal for our week-long mini van rental,

had a group of people with us, it was late, we were tired, etc. We waited at the counter for a good 10-15 minutes in hopes that someone would see us and help us. There was no sign or anything saying they were closed or to go anywhere else. Finally, someone from a neighboring car rental firm told us that Dollar owns Thrifty and maybe we could go to the Dollar counter (which was in a different area of the airport). So we lugged all of our things to the Dollar rental place, where we were grudgingly greeted by ...

• two employees in the midst of flirting before we showed up. Fortunately, they were able to help us out and we finally got into our mini van about 45 minutes of this whole ordeal.

To top this off, two days before leaving to go back home, the gear shifter of the mini van fell off! The van still shifted, but you could pull the shifter off and on with ease. We called Thifty to see what we should do (we didn’t want to get stranded somewhere in case the shifter quit working). They said all we could do is

drive back to the airport (45 minutes from where we were staying) and exchange it for a new van. We opted not to because we only had one full day of vacation left and didn’t want to drive for an hour and a half for this.

The only good thing was that we didn’t get charged for the shifter. I know it wasn’t our fault, but I’ve heard of car rental firms trying to nickel and dime customers before. We must have been lucky!

I think I would rent from them again, but only if we get a steal of a deal again.

kate says :

I rented from the Orlando International airport as well. I had a lenghty wait to get my car at Thrifty, after finally getting to the agent, I advised I had made my reservation online. Well I was less than thrilled when I was basically Threatened by the agent after declining many of their other services fees, etc.. that I should invest in their prepaid gas plan. The issue was I didn’t know what I’d have and I thought just filling up prior to return was the best option and what I always do. WATCH out for this…because even if you return it half full..they still charge you the same amount to fill the car ie my compact would have been $ 40 ??? (I paid s$ 20somthing when I filled it)…EVEN if you did return it empty, who does that though? She also then proceededt to threaten me that it had to be within 10 miles of the rental place or they’d charge you full price SERIOUSLY? ? ? Then I was advised about the toll option, I declined, not knowing that Florida has a lot of toll stations at the time…regardless…I finally got my car. Well LOW and behold the first day I did go through ONE $ .50 toll the very first one (never listen to your GPS )…I attempted to call Thrifty when it first happened, well that was like talking to a wall…so after my 4 days of the rental I returned it and tried to see what my options where.

Well upon returning the car (the check in guy NEVER looked at my gas reciept..so much for the threat huh )… when I stood in line to talk to another rental agent again.. they advised that I had to PURCHASE 4 DAYS OF TOLL SERVICE..for the one .50cent fee I had….seriously..$ 30…I advised that I would pay for the one day, but according to this agent THAT was not acceptable… well then I started calling Floridas Sun Pass, etc, they advised that you can prepurchase these for cheaper than Thrifty offers, second, the fee is only $ 2.00 fee plus the toll…this agent Threatened up to $ 50 in FINES… seriously this is an extreme rip off and I will CERTAINLY not be doing service with them again…and will certainly let their agency know how ticked off I am.

quick note by anonymous :

There is a person name RUBY at the counter of Orlando international that is very rude and sarcastic. I will never go there again

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 31112534830931/k2311a1211/12.11.08