Black and Decker 12 inch Convection/broiler Oven  » Housewares  »
2.5
  • When I got it home, and put it on the counter top, the first thing I noticed was it's size
  • The time is displayed digitally, but, personally, I think the digital display is made with a cheap screen cover
  • The main problem with this toaster/convection oven is that it gets very hot on the top

• by Rhonlynn

Our trusted toaster oven finally coughed, then, sputtered, and gave up. They die dramatically. There isn’t many toaster ovens to choose from, but my 17 year old told me to be sure and buy one that cooked a pizza. I went to Bed Bath and Beyond, and looked at the features and sizes of the few toaster ovens available. After thinking about them, I decided on this Black and Decker model.

To me, it had what I was looking for: the size was large enough to cook a pizza. It had buttons for frozen snacks, cookies, convection baking, and potatoes. When I got it home, and put it on the counter top, the first thing I noticed was it’s size. It is rather large, but

I forgave it.

Included with it is a round pizza pan, and a baking pan. It has a removable crumb tray at the bottom and a movable wire rack inside that can be adjusted to two different oven shelves. The buttons on the front panel are easily selected, but there’s a few points one must learn to toast the bread. The toaster mechanism is not user friendly.

It’s not a matter of placing a slice of bread into the toaster, and pushing a button. It’s not that easy. To toast a piece of bread, the toast button is selected, and then the start button is selected. If the bread needs to be darker, there’s another button to select.

The time is displayed digitally, but, personally, I think ...

• the digital display is made with a cheap screen cover. Regular sized frozen pizza like Totino’s, bake well. The round pan that is included, must be sprayed well with Pam, or the pizza sticks. The pan is made with cheap material.

The cookie pan is pretty good. It is nonstick. I had no trouble with cooking frozen cookie dough. I tried the convection selection when I made cookies.

I’m not sure if it speeds up cooking. The main problem with this toaster/convection oven is that it gets very hot on the top. We accidental left a stack of paper plates on the top of it, and my son used it, and the top of the oven turned the nearest paper plate brownish. The heat

that radiates from the top is very much a fire hazard, and I’m shocked that a company such as Black and Decker would produce an oven with this much heat at the top.

I’m afraid that the buttons on the front will be activated by someone accidentally, and unknowing, the oven will be turned on. The buttons would stay on until turned off. The size is another factor. I forgave it at first, but it seems to have grown in size from when I first saw it, to sitting on my shelf.

It is large, can cook a whole chicken. Plus vegetables on the side. It is too late to return this oven, and it does what it says, but I do hope it doesn’t cause a fire.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 531012533661231/k2311a1210/12.10.08