Mt. Rinjani Indonesia
The Island of Lombok, Nusa Tenggara Barat, Indonesia.
  • Going down through Senaru, we stopped by Lake Segara Anak and enjoyed bathing in the Ail Kalak Hot Springs nearby the lake

• by st_hart

I am not a habitual mountain climber, yet there are always friends of mine asking me to go with them climbing mountain. And I felt crazy that, as a totally amateur climber, I agreed to go with my friends climbing Mt. Rinjani.

Mt. Rinjani is one of the most challenging mountain to climb in Indonesia. Located on the island of Lombok, a small island nearby Bali, Indonesia, it is the second highest mountain in Indonesia, around 3700 meters above sea level; the highest is Mt. Jaya Wijaya, around 4800 meters above sea level, which is known as getting eternally icy surface on its top.

Beside its highest top, the other attractive place on Mt. Rinjani is a crater lake (a lake that forms in a volcanic crater, caldera, or maar) named Segara Anak (’Child of the Sea’ or the

small sea). It is located about 2000m above sea level and estimated at being around 200m deep.

There are many routes up the mountain, but we chose the main access. We started from Sembalun Lawang (lawang means gate) on the east, climbed up to the top, and down through Senaru in the north. That was really an unforgettable 4-day trekking. We didn’t so rush as all of us are not habitual climbers. We took a rest when we needed or when we wanted.

We reached Plawangan 2 Crater Rim (the last stop) on the 2nd morning, and climbed up the top on the next morning (around 3 A.M.). In that place we found many friendly apes, the long tailed gray macaque of kera. If you give them food, they will take it from your hand. I got a picture ...

• where an ape take peanuts from my hand. From that place, it is estimated to take around 3 hours to reach the top. But my friends needed 4 hours and I even needed 6 hours to reach it! The last track is so tricky, sandy hence slippery. Every moving forward 2 steps, we went back 1 step. Well, at least we were lucky because the weather agreed with us. The former climbers couldn’t even climb to the top due to the fog and strong wind.

Going down through Senaru, we stopped by Lake Segara Anak and enjoyed bathing in the Ail Kalak Hot Springs nearby the lake. My friend from Australia was not lucky in that place. He lost around $ 300. The money was in his bag and he left his bag in a place nearby without

telling our porters to take care of it. So, always keep your money or other things you don’t want to lose with you. That was the only bad thing we underwent. The other things were enjoyable, challenging and inviting us to be back to the place.

Some suggestion if you are interested to visit Mt. Rinjani: 1. Prepare yourself with proper personal items like torchlight, sun block/lotion, long trek pants/wind proof, windproof jacket, camera, toiletries etc. The other main collective equipments like waterproof camping tents, airbed or softened sleeping mattress, portable toilet and and toilet tents are usually provided by the trekking team you hire.

2. It’s much better if you have local friends (Indonesian friends) with you. They can help you to deal with the porters and guides.

3. Once again, never leave you money or valuable things in insecure place.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38712532520831/k2311a127/12.7.08