Sainsbury`s Organics  » Shopping  »
  • I wouldn`t go as far as saying that I think `Organic` everytime I make a purchase, but I do try to buy fruit and vegetables especially that are relatively free from chemicals
  • I could fill pages telling you all about Sainsbury`s organic range , but it would be a little bit boring
  • The beef joint is succulent, If I am feeling wealthy I would always choose a rib on the bone, the marbled fat gives the meat the most amazing taste
  • Her main concern is that he gets the best start in life and if Sainburys organic baby food will offer that then so be it
  • The one thing that prevents me from buying only organic food is cost, if it was always affordable it would always be in my shopping trolley

• by Sarahjh2

Lots of people have their own views on the word `Organic`, to some it means everything and to others it means nothing. I wouldn`t go as far as saying that I think `Organic` everytime I make a purchase, but I do try to buy fruit and vegetables especially that are relatively free from chemicals.

Sainbury`s were the first supermarket to start selling organically produced food.

Everything in the Sainsbury`s organic range is marked `SO`, so there is no mistaking it for anything else.

I always buy the Organic semi skimmed milk and no matter what, nothing will convince me to buy otherwise, there is a difference! Rather than being white fluid that you add to tea, coffee or cereal it has a fresh rich taste,it makes you feel that it is worth using!

The Organic mature cheddar is another good example, slightly more expensive, but that applies to everything organic, the cheese is made from 100% organic milk. Many types

of cheddar cheese either taste of nothing, taste `soapy` or have a rubbery texture, it is so hard to find a hard cheese with a good firm crumbly texture, but Sainbury`s organic cheddar has exactly that. when you cut the cheese it is firm, it crumbles slightly and it has a fresh `cheese` smell. It cooks well, it toasts well and makes a superb sandwich or a salad.

The organic wholemeal bread is a regular on my shopping list, made with stoneground flour it is tasty. So much bread that we buy now has little or no taste, it is only if you make you own bread, or use a breadmaker that you manage to get that lovely yeasty taste that is worth eating.

I could fill pages telling you all about Sainsbury`s organic range , but it would be a little bit boring!

But the range also encompasses other benefits, 90% of the organic range packaging is recycled, recyclable or compostable. As we all try to find ways of recycling anything and everything this is a great help. I religiously try to be environmentally friendly, making visits to the local bottle banks and recycling centres. I am a member of the local Freecycle group too.

It is so good to find that Sainsbury`s source with honesty for their organic products.

Have you ever tried any of their beef? WOW it has to be tasted to be believed! the cows and calves spend the warm months out grazing, in the winter they are housed inside but eat cereals and oats that have been grown on their own farm.

As for the end product? you cannot compare organic beef to the run of the mill piece of topside that sits in the supermarket chiller.

The beef has its own fat running around the edges, it creates fat when it cooks, so you can baste the beef in it`s own fat and ...

•  Sainsbury`s Organics
      juices. The fat can be saved and used for cooking something else. The beef joint is succulent, If I am feeling wealthy I would always choose a rib on the bone, the marbled fat gives the meat the most amazing taste!

In turn the organic meat produces wonderful juices when it has cooked and these juices form the base for the perfect gravy.

All this talk of food!

But I do like to think that I am at least trying to eat fewer chemicals and pesticides when I eat organic. Although you can wash the fruit and vegetables well, there is no way that all of those pesticides can be removed. If the produce is sprayed to stop the bugs and the weeds getting at it, then it must be harmful to us to !

Every organic product must be stamped with one of eight specific symbols, if the goods arent stamped then it is highly unlikely that they are organic.

/> My grandson is fed on organic baby food, it looks good, smells good and he adores it. My daughter regularly shops at Sainsbury`s with me to stock up for him. Her main concern is that he gets the best start in life and if Sainburys organic baby food will offer that then so be it.

Of course I have only touched the surface, their organic range is vast. There are many who would argue that buying organic is a complete and utter waste of hard earned money, but every one has their own opinion and they are fully entitled to it.

The `SO` range is well stocked and most definitely well looked after, the colourful fruit and vegetables are a joy to look at.

The smell is there, that fresh garden smell that makes you want to buy it. The meat and chicken all looks healthy and enticing.

The one thing that prevents me from buying only organic food is cost, if it was always affordable it would always be in my shopping trolley!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 24512531400431/k2311a125/12.5.08