Hong Kong Chinese Restaurant, Astoria OR  » Restaurants  »
2813 Marine Dr., Astoria, OR 97103
  • This isn't so much of an issue at a fine restaurant, but in the less expensive ones corners tend to get cut
  • This isn't super gourmet Chinese cooking, but for a lower-priced option, I was very impressed

• by auriel3000

There are many Chinese restaurants to choose from in Astoria Oregon, and Hong Kong Restaurant is a good one to choose. I can’t say that I’ve tried all the others yet, but the two times I’ve gone there - once while eating in and once taking home - I’ve been quite pleased.

The service is good, food very good, and prices quite good.

One of my biggest complaints about the average Chinese restaurant is the sometimes questionable chicken bits with stringy and crunchy pieces in the food - yikes. This isn’t so much of an issue at a fine restaurant, but in the less expensive ones corners tend to get cut. I purposely ordered one of the dinner combos that featured two different chicken dishes so that I could see what their chicken was like: sweet ‘n’ sour and Kung Pao.

I should mention that there are about 20 different dinner combos to choose from in addition to ala carte, that

feature anywhere from 3 to 4 different items, plus soup (soup is not on takeout), and range in price from $5.95 - $8.45, most being in the $7 - $8 range. This is quite reasonable, and becomes even more so when you receive the enormous portion that I was able to eat off of for 3 meals! One thing I really like too is that not only is your food served fast, but steaming hot. My fiance doesn’t really care for it being so hot - but my theory is that it can always cool off, but sending it back to be reheated is just asking for trouble in my most restaurants.

Of course, the real test of a good restaurant is the taste and quality of the food. Both are excellent at Hong Kong Restaurant. This isn’t super gourmet Chinese cooking, but for a lower-priced option, I was very impressed. The Kung Pao chicken was diced smaller than I’m used ...

• to, but was wonderful and tasted great. Nicely spicy, and what I personally loved was the cashews instead of peanuts. The sweet ‘n’ sour was fantastic - all white meat chicken and not composite looking. The outside coating was great and flavorful and not too greasy, as well as the sauce being perfect. My only complaint was that it didn’t come with the typical pineapple, bell pepper and onions. Although - on the plus side - there was plenty of chicken! We also both had BBQ pork slices which are not in a sauce, but incredibly tasty.

My fiance ordered beef and broccoli as well as sweet ‘n’ sour. He said his was excellent, although he commented that the meat was steamed instead of sauteed, which isn’t his usual preference. The hot ‘n’ sour soup was quite good, and the spring rolls and fried shrimps appetizers were excellent. The only thing that wasn’t great - although still good - was the

fried rice; it seemed a little dry to me and didn’t have as much egg and bean sprouts as I’m used to.

When we ate at the restaurant our service was fast and friendly - although the older lady working at the front was a little cranky - but more in an amusing way. It certainly wouldn’t ever deter us from going in again. The ambience was very 1960’s Chinese theme restaurant, and there was an adjoining bar where there seemed to be a party going on. We were immediately served Jasmine tea and ice water when we sat down; so for a relaxed, but still nice dining experience, I would recommend eating in. Take-out went really well too; they were helpful and quick on a fairly busy Friday night.

Overall, this is a worthwhile option for reasonably priced Chinese food. Whether you need fast take-out or want to sit and relax in a dining room, the Hong Kong Restaurant is a good place to be.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 7412530150731/k2311a124/12.4.08