Dell XPS M1530  » Laptops  »
  • I prefer larger screen display in order to do my work more efficiently
  • I love the tuxedo black colour and the glossy LCD screen which is unlike most LCD screen it doesn't reflect that much
  • The graphic card which comes with the laptop is also one of the best NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600 GT
  • Besides that, the laptop also comes with a HDMI port which is pretty convenient for me

• by honest.guy

Dell released its XPS series back in 2007 and has been very successful with the likes of XPS M1330 and this M1530. To be honest, I’m not a fan of small screen and lighter laptop due to my job nature I’m an IT programmer and web designer. I prefer larger screen display in order to do my work more efficiently. That is why I opted for M1530, the one with the 15.4-inch screen display (the M1730 is just too heavy and big).

I love the tuxedo black colour and the glossy LCD screen which is unlike most LCD screen it doesn’t reflect that much. This is perfect even in outdoor places. The 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo processor is very fast and provides good performance. The package which came with the laptop allowed me to upgrade to

320 GB hard disk space for free (priced around RM 3500, which is around USD$ 1000 with free 3GB memory upgrade). 320 GB can really store a lot of things and fortunately the 5400 RPM speed does not slow the hard disk down, thanks to the SATA technology. The graphic card which comes with the laptop is also one of the best NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600 GT. It is not as good as the GeForce 9000 series used by some HP Pavillion laptop, but it is good enough for some decent games. I can even play Crysis, though at a lower settings. Besides that, the laptop also comes with a HDMI port which is pretty convenient for me. I can easily play high definition movies from my laptop, connecting directly to the LCD TV via the HDMI cable. I ...

• did not opt for the Blu-ray drive since it’s very expensive.

In terms of the design, it is slick with metallic feel. The keyboard space is quite spacious; unlike some laptops I know which have pretty narrow keyboard space, making the typing work pretty tedious. The laptop weights slightly below 3 KG, which is pretty good for a laptop with 15 inch display.

However, this laptop is not without weaknesses. The laptop only has 3 USB ports. One can always use a USB hub, but what is the point of getting that? I personally feel that 4 USB ports should be the minimum since most devices use USB connector. As for me, my optical mouse uses USB, my drawing tablet uses USB, and my external hard disk drive uses USB too. This means that I will have to unplug one

of them if I were to use my USB Thumb Drive. This is just too troublesome and frustrating at times. Besides that, the 6-cell battery does not last long at all. When using it to play games like Crysis, the battery will die out within 1-2 hours and if you’re using it to play Blu-ray movies, it’ll last slightly shorter than that. I wonder why Dell did not want to give the newer 9-cell battery.

Overall, this laptop is indeed a very good mobile entertainment laptop with its thin and light design, even though it boasts a 15.4 inch display. The fact that the battery life is quite okay (except for heavy gaming and Blu-ray movie playback) really adds to its overall value. It’s just those few bad design decisions (like the USB ports) which prevent this laptop from being a perfect laptop.

Dell XPS M1530

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 63412530130731/k2311a124/12.4.08