The Royal Navy Submarine Museum  » Travel  »
Haslar Jetty Road, Gosport, PO12 2AS
  • Last July the school my son goes to went away for a few days to the Isle Of Wight, they asked for parent volunteers to go along to help with the kids, I had nothing planned so I thought that it would make a nice break away for a few days
  • Whilst touring the submarine you experience the atmosphere, smells and sounds have been cleverly recreated, you really get the vibes

• by Sarahjh2

Last July the school my son goes to went away for a few days to the Isle Of Wight, they asked for parent volunteers to go along to help with the kids, I had nothing planned so I thought that it would make a nice break away for a few days.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the holiday break was really good fun and when we were on our way home the itinerary included a visit to The Royal Navy Submarine Museum. I selfishly thought that the kids would be pretty bored looking around old naval memorabilia and submarines. How wrong could I have been!

The school visit was pre-booked by the Head teacher, so it had all been paid for. The museum offers school and group discounts.

We had a tight schedule so we were whisked off by an ex Submariner who acted as a tour guide

for a tour of HMS Alliance, a decommissioned submarine that takes pride of place in the museum.

No one could believe their own eyes as we all filed into the inside of the submarine, many of the kids, including me! felt really nervous and claustrophobic. The accommodation space lies between the fore end and the front control room and though the tour guide was quick to tell us that the sub mariners got used to the cramped and overcrowded conditions it really made everyone think how on earth they managed, submerged for weeks and weeks on end in such confined conditions.

The Control room is awesome! even scary, hundreds of dials and buttons. The kids were just amazed with it all! Some of them would have been sat at the controls given half the chance!

While the submarine was on patrol water was always in short supply, so the ...

• men on board washed the worst of the dirt off using a communal bucket of water and then had a more thorough wash in a basin. The kids were laughing when the tour guide told them that with very early submarines all the sewage was blown out to sea! but HMS Alliance had a sewage tank onboard which was blown periodically.

HMS Alliance has eight- cylinder, four- stroke supercharged Vickers diesel engines, rated at 2,150 hp at 450 rpm.

The kids that I thought would be bored were `all ears` taking in everything that the tour guide was telling them.

He explained the `attack` strategy and explained how the periscope worked.

Whilst touring the submarine you experience the atmosphere, smells and sounds have been cleverly recreated, you really get the vibes.

The submarine tour took over an hour and was emotive and educational, a great lesson for the kids and

a good story to tell their parents when they got home.

We had very little time left, so the Head Teacher decided that a quick look at the museum would be most appropriate, information on many submarines, artifacts, photographs, the history of the submarine service and a full list of those who lost their lives while serving on submarines was all there to see. Very interestingly there is a Victoria Cross on display, the kids had never seen one before, so another new experience for them.

The one thing that touched me were the collection of letters to `loved ones`, as the men headed out to sea they left the letters for family, girlfriends and wives in case they lost their lives at sea.

Time had well and truly run out for us, there was a lot more that we could have spent time looking at and enjoying.

You never know they might take another school trip to the Isle Of Wight next year!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38212528290431/k2311a122/12.2.08