Shinning Movie  » Movies  »
2.5
  • Every Saturday is what I like to call movie night, but basically I like to watch it on tv

• by Angelina
      The book is written by Stephen King, the movie is directed by Stanley Kubrick. You can say these two guys are masters in the industry, to come up with an idea like this and to bring it to life.

Every Saturday is what I like to call movie night, but basically I like to watch it on tv.

Well last Saturday I had gotten my selected choices of movies that Columbia House had sent me and one of them was The

Shinning.

I was in the mood to watch something thrilling, so I picked this movie to watch.

I haven’t seen this in quite awhile.

This is what you call a killerious murderous ghost story, starring Jack Nicholson, who’s a writer and is to be caretaker on a large estate hotel, that is really built on an Indian burial ground.

This maybe the cause of the problems that goes on in this hotel, but you probably would have to read the book ...

• to get more detailed information.

As the story goes on, there’s a little boy named Danny, who has some disturbing spirit living within him and can also see the ghost that roams the hotel.

The wife (Shelly Duvall) is in danger but doesn’t see it at first, until her mad-crazed husband played by Nicholson, shows her a different dark disturbing side of himself, who has sold his soul to the house.

The poor wife is in constant fear and has to

get out by deffending herself with a sharp kitchen knife, from her husband and the evil of the house.

Well this movie has everything from blood gushing out of the elevator, unrested spirits, murder, and tons of snow that keep you trapped inside.

This is a movie night movie, that has some action packed sequences.

It’s also a movie for when there’s nothing to watch, a great Halloween movie, or if you’re a horror movie collector or if you’re a Stephen King or Stanley Kubrick fan.

Sabrina Mendez says :

“I’m not going to hurt you Wendy, my dear. Light of my life What are you afraid of? You did not let me finish the sentence, I said: I’m not going to hurt you, I’m just going to crush your brains. I’ll crush your fucking brains “- Jack Torrance

The film “The Shining” directed by Stanley Kubrick, is a film that was expected to be a “terror” one, but that in my personal opinion (coinciding with the opinion of Stephen King), it lacked form and background. The script was appealing just like the plot in general, but Jack Nicholson’s performance as the psychotic and alcoholic Jack Torrance and Shelley Duvall as a passive and scary Wendy Torrance is far from being satisfactory, the only performance that was good for me from beginning to end was the performance of Danny Lloyd (as Danny Torrance), because the two actors mentioned above (Jack and Shelley) tried to force the scenes, which could be easily perceived. It is an overrated film that stopped other great films of that era from “shining” as “Altered States” directed by Ken Russell and “The changeling” directed by Peter Medak.

As for the technical aspects, Kubrick did a good job directing the shots of the film. It can be appreciated that he decided to use many wide-angle planes, the well-known “steady-cam” and aerial planes to highlight his scenes. Also, the music is correctly linked to the context, as they chose a soundtrack that conveys mystery and feeling of suspense. The lighting was mostly clear and bright, which is why, in my opinion, made it lose some sense of “terror” because you could clearly see everything that happened. The setting and decoration of the scenarios were excellently located and selected because they coincided with the era and the situations that were being lived. In conclusion, in its technical section, the film is magnificent, because photography, sound effects, mixing of fixed planes with camera movements, traveling and suspense sequences, are in correct synchrony with the plot and the script.

In general, Kubrick did a good job that was affected by senseless performances and very intense illuminations. People call it “a classic in the genre of Terror”, and maybe it is, because at that time it marked a remarkable difference between the other films, but not for that it deserved to overshadow the others, because in my opinion, they were better than this one. It’s a movie to watch at home just by general culture.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1140552800231/k2311a054/5.4.06