The Magnificent Seven Ride  » Movies  »
  • As a youngster, I had a mental list of the actors that i classified as the men that I would avoid in a fight

• by Manolo

The Magnificent Seven Ride with Lee Van Cleef, Michael Callan, and Stephanie Powers. A sequel to the greatest western of all time plus the casting of Lee Van Cleef as the leader of this heroic group of cowboys made this a must see film. As a youngster, I had a mental list of the actors that i classified as the men that I would avoid in a fight.

These were men like Ernest Borgnine, Clint Eastwood, and Lee Marvin.

Well, Lee Van Cleef with that classic pipe of his was one of the famed tough guys.

So, I looked forward to enjoying this western sequel and I suspect that my expectations were too high. Right from the beginning, my taste buds for excitement were whetted by the playing of the famous theme song from the original.

Van Cleef plays the Yul Brynner role of Chris, but that is where the similarities end. The lack of starts was a ...

• devastating difference.

Could it be possible that I loved the first movie due to such notables as McQueen and Vaughn. In this story Chris is a sheriff who follows the murderers of his wife to the town of Magdalena in Sonora, Mexico.

There he avenges her death and meets up with Stephanie Powers and 16 other women who have been raped by a Mexican gang lead by Del Toro. So, in response to their pleas for help, he goes to the

territorial prison to round up his team.

It will be 7 versus 70 this time. Though the music continues to attempt to convince me that this movie will get better, it does not.

The magnetism that stars bring to a so-so story line is evidenced by another example, Oceans 11. Of course, the fight scenes are okay and we do have the good guys or what is left of them carrying the day, but the movie just falls short of what I had hoped for.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11212527720331/k2311a122/12.2.08