Cavalier Z24  » Cars  »
  • I'd suggest one to anyone willing to put work into a vehicle

• by Becky
      In the summer of 2004 my Dad traded a rotten 1986 Pontaic Fiero for a 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24. The Fiero had been a gift from my father in the summer of 1998 for grading. I was supposed to help him work on it until it was street ready and legal. My dad is knows a heck of a lot when it comes to mechanics. That never happened as I started babysitting after school 5 days a week and all day Saturdays until I was 16 when I started working.

So the Fiero rotted in my parents driveway. My uncle saw this and offered the trade as he knew a guy looking for Fiero’s cheap and he couldn’t afford

to insure the Z24 anymore anyway. It didn’t need near as much work and it was in running condition. A week’s work to made it road worthy.

The car looked nice, sharp black with a silver body kit. Rear and front spoilers, 2. 8L V6 engine, sunroof. We had to repair a few holes in the floor and the quarter panels, as well as in the trunk and wheel wells.

The brakes needed a little work and it needed to be tuned up. Dad had knee surgery one day, and the day after he began working on the car. I was due to move out in August and it was important to him that I have a car. I had ...

• the insurance ready and the paperwork signed over.

It took Dad, me and my brother three days of solid work and she was road ready. We had it safety inspected at a local garage…it failed! We missed a hole in the wheel well behind the calibur. We welded it up on the spot and he passed it. I drove the car with minimal problems until the Fall.

A leak developed in the fuel line, and it was expensive! I was filling my tank with $50 worth of gas every 3 days. Dad fixed it up. It ran awesome, until my room mate and I went on a 265Km road trip. On the way back, we were about 50Km away

from home when smoke starting pouring into the back seat and my guages went crazy.

Turned out I had a crack in my oil pan so my engine blew. We found an engine cheap and replaced the blown one. It ran awesome. Until I met the boyfriend I had from November 04 until January 04.

Anything that happened to the car in that period was not it’s own fault. I loved my Z24. It was a nice comfortable ride and it had guts. Yes it was old and beaten, but it treated me well generally.

I did have a lot of problems but it still ran well other than that. I’d suggest one to anyone willing to put work into a vehicle.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 940552731231/k2311a054/5.4.06