Labrador Retrievers  » Pets  »
  • She's hooked and loves having the pups around

• by Becky
      My mother started breeding labs when I was 16, with our Yellow Lab Ben and Chocolate Lab Shadow. She’s hooked and loves having the pups around. She now has 3 females - Shadow, Maggie and Morgan and 1 male - Bailey.

Anywhere from three to 5 litters a year averaging 6 pups a litter. For the first few years I

was designated caretaker of the pups.

Our puppies never saw the outdoors unless they were 5 weeks old or more and they were hand raised. Sick pups were bottle fed.

She’s only ever lost three due to inexperienced mothers and breeders. Mom is a good breeder.

Labs are a very rewarding pet to have. Each one of mom’s dogs gets equal treatment, when they come inside from their kennel they get a milkbone.

Each sits in a designated spot and gently takes the treat from your hand as you say their name - Bailey, Shadow, Morgan, Maggie - by rank of their pack. When I lived at home, each dog slept in a different spot - Morgan at the foot ...

• Labrador Retrievers
      of my bed, Shadow at the foot of my brother’s, Bailey on Dad’s bed and Maggie in her crate.

And each dog responded to that person as their owner. Morgan was depressed for months after I moved out and didn’t get better until I visited home 6 months later.

If you played with them, they followed you for days, take

them for a walk and they pined for you if you left. No wonder they say dog is man’s best friend.

Labs are smart, they learn quickly. Friendly, they only bite if threatened.

I’ve never heard of a cross lab. Gentle, quiet pets, awesome for hunting, swimming, retrieving, and just generally to have around.

Would I own one again? I plan on having three.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2940552721231/k2311a054/5.4.06