The Bush RPA-01 turntable with radio  » Electronics  »
  • I like to hear the sound of the turntable mixed in with the beat of the music

• by tomcat99

Can I ask everyone a genuine question? When was the last time that you ever saw a turntable in use? Sure the odd DJ might use them in a nightclub, but even those guys and girls are now using digital formats for their gigs. I have not seen a turntable in so long that I just had to buy this. This device is the very definition of the word retro. It is not trying to be old fashioned it is old fashioned. I had some vinyl in my loft so I dug it out and brought it down to enjoy the sounds. And despite what digital converts will tell you records do sound better in this format. They do not sound so perfect and polished. I am a big fan

of music not sounding so polished. I like to hear the sound of the turntable mixed in with the beat of the music. There is something so special about a turntable. A nostalgic glow comes over me when ever I use it. It makes me want to go out and buy old Kinks and Beatles 12″ records to go properly old school. As it stands, my generation have vinyl copies of Vanilla Ice To the Extreme which is sad on two fronts. The first is that it is really bad, the second is that it ages me pretty well.

This turntable works the way that we all remember them. It is silver not because it is fashionable, but because it is cheaper to make, and it has a see through plastic lid on the turntable itself. A turntable would not be a turntable without a see through lid, after all, what is the point in having a turntable if you cannot see it turn?

The features are zero. There is a radio, which is so old fashioned looking that my granddad would know how to use it. This is no bad thing, although dated in appearance, there is something to say for such ease of use. Designs like this stick around because they are good, comfortable and easy to use. It makes sense that a design for a radio would last 30 years because it was good. Someone would have gotten rid of it if it were rubbish.

The volume control is absolutely huge. It would need to be because the size of ...

• The Bush RPA-01 turntable with radio
      the turntable is so big, and the features are so few, that there is a real need for something to take up the space on the front of the machine. The volume control wins the fight for space here as it dwarfs every other dial and knob on the machine.

There is an attempt at style on The Bush RPA-01 turntable with radio, so we shouldn’t laugh too hard. The blue inlay surrounding the tuning display of the radio sweeps across the front of this device gracefully and swells to surround the massive volume control, adding to the sense of size that it has already.

A nice touch on this device, which brings it up to the 21st century is that the speakers are built in. I remember when I had one of these as

a child, and you had to get the speakers separately. Connecting the speakers to the turntable was like trying to hot wire a car (I would imagine). But here they are built in, which dramatically saves on space. The sound quality is ok, but don’t turn it up too loud. There is also a headphone socket for those who take their vinyl music very seriously.

This review may read a little tongue in cheek, but the truth is that I really like this machine It reminds me of being in another time and place, and for me this is half the point of music. It may not have all the features and docking stations that other devices have, but for less than forty pounds, you are buying a music system with a heat and soul. I love it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16112527020731/k2311a121/12.1.08