Prilosec  » Medicine  »
2.5
  • One night, I woke up in the middle of the night with horrible stomach pain and burning and a sulfur taste in my mouth
  • At first I ignore it, thinking its nerves or stress, but as the weeks go by, it becomes apparent to me that I had another ulcer

• by holli

About 8 years ago, I began getting a gnawing feeling in my stomach all the time. Eating bread was the only thing that made it go away, but the uncomfortable feeling would always come back in a few hours. One night, I woke up in the middle of the night with horrible stomach pain and burning and a sulfur taste in my mouth. Scared, I went to the emergency room where I was diagnosed with a stomach ulcer and given a prescription for Prilosec.

The Prilosec worked wonderfully. Within 2 days the burning and gnawing was gone and I was able to

eat normally again. To me, the drug was a miracle.

Fast forward seven years… On a daily basis, I start to feel that gnawing sensation again. At first I ignore it, thinking its nerves or stress, but as the weeks go by, it becomes apparent to me that I had another ulcer. Choosing to bypass the doctor, I go to the drugstore and pick up a box of Prilosec which had just been approved for over the counter use.

I start taking the pills, and despite the warning on the box that it can take Prilosec a few days to work, my ...

• stomach issues once again resolved themselves within a day.

Feeling confident that I was better, a week later I made a bad decision to eat potatoes smothered in onions and red peppers. By the end of the day, my stomach was burning and I had the worst heartburn I ever had in my life. Silently chastising myself for eating something so greasy and hot, I took another Prilosec and assumed I would feel better once the food digested. Unfortunately it was not to be. The next day, the next week, I still felt horrible. The Prilosec had stopped working!

When I

took the prescription Prilosec, it kept working for the whole month I took it, regardless of what I ate, but the OTC Prilosec had stopped working after a week. I have tried taking Prilosec OTC on other occasions since then, but it still doesn’t work. Either my body built up a tolerance to it, or the OTC version isn’t as potent as the prescription. I am really upset that it no longer works because it was a cheaper alternative to the more expensive proton pump inhibitors that came out after Prilosec. Another thing I liked about the Prilosec was the lack of side effects.

Prilosec

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 263011526401030/k2311a1130/11.30.08