Diary of the Dead, 2007 (DVD)
0.5
  • I was so disappointed in just about every aspect of this movie
  • The narrator was (unfortunately) also the main female, Deb, who is the edgy, fearless one who lets no man or beast stand in her way , that includes a small militia of Nation Guardsmen with semi-automatic weapons and nothing to lose who in real life would have shot the bitch after she sassed them
  • I have no problem with films not being totally true to life, but seriously
  • Jason wants to film every bit of their experience because he feels he can help people or even save lives with his footage, meanwhile Deb is busy being a hard-ass bitch and just wants to get home to her family

• by Ruthie Holida

AOL Messenger (required to be logged into AIM)

Wow. There really aren’t words to describe this movie. I had heard not-so-good reviews about this film but knew I had to see it for myself. I wish I had heeded their call. Diary of the Dead was crap.

Plain and simple. I was so disappointed in just about every aspect of this movie. I guess I expected too much from Romero, considering Land of the Dead was crap too but at least it seemed like he was trying. The writing and acting was well below par.

The characters were walking clichés and even the gore was a huge let down. I understand Romero’s mission to lace his films with social commentary and usually he’s fairly subtle about it, excluding this one of course. Every ten minutes, the viewer was inundated with how bad technology is for our society, what have we been reduced to, is there no moral qualities in today’s television.

It got very old, very fast.

We are aware of all these factors that probably won’t be changing anytime soon. Leave the zombies out of it, ok? They didn’t do anything. The characters, as I mentioned, were just one cliché after another. The narrator was (unfortunately) also the main female, Deb, who is the “edgy, fearless one who lets no man or beast stand in her way”, that includes a small militia of Nation Guardsmen with semi-automatic weapons and nothing to lose who in real life would have shot the bitch after she sassed them.

I have no problem with films not being totally true to life, but seriously. The main male character, Jason, has his face stuck behind a camera 85% of the film, which in turn caused his death that I viewed as a relief. The constant struggle between Jason and Deb about when the filming should end, and the fighting to save their lives ...

• begins is drug around through the entire film, all the way up to the wretched ending. Jason wants to film every bit of their experience because he feels he can help people or even save lives with his footage, meanwhile Deb is busy being a “hard-ass bitch” and just wants to get home to her family…who turn out to be zombies so her trip was really all for nothing.

If I counted how many times the phrase “up/downloaded on the web” I’m pretty sure my head will explode. In this day and age, it is hard to escape the use of C. G. I.

, but you would expect some like George Romero to be able to at least hire a decent special fx supervisor. I had hoped that there would be minimal computer generated gore at most and leave the rest to actual special fx but I was extremely let down. The real kick in the shin is the

scene in the hospital where our femme fatal tries to take out a zombie by not only electrocuting it but using a crash-cart to do so. This only results in the zombie nurse’s eyes bursting out of her skull, all with the use of the computer.

It’s absolutely absurd looking. Not to mention that the concept is flawed because, Hey! That zombie pops right back up, only to be shot in the head. Among many other scenes, it completely ruined the film for me. By the way, who goes to not only a hospital where there are already a fairly large number of dead and/or dying people, but an abandoned hospital where there are a shit-ton of dead and now undead people?

There were a mass of disappointing and down-right stupid qualities in this movie.

Maybe next time, I’ll pay more attention to the other reviews.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112811525420230/k2311a1128/11.28.08