The Bridges of Madison County
  • Now, that I am in my fifties, I was able to see this movie in a different light

• by Manolo

The Bridges of Madison County with Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep. I remember the first time I saw this movie. I felt mislead by the tough guy of all times, Clint Eastwood. How could he betray me by acting out a love story with frumpy Meryl Streep? Now, that I am in my fifties, I was able to see this movie in a different light.

Yes, I can see the romantic moment they shared for four days as a special fantasy. Have I changed that much or is Clint Eastwood just

that darn good?

Clint plays the role of a traveling photographer working for National Geographic. Streep plays an Italian ancestry frumpy Iowa farm wife with two grown kids.

Her family goes away for four days and she finds herself spell bound by the bigger better deal pitch that Eastwood delivers. I was taken back to my many romances that characterize my vagabond life. That first kiss and how it fills your whole existence with joy.

The magical day that the two of you spend together after making love for the first ...

• time. Its like you see everything in a different way. There are rainbows in the blue skies.

People around you are smiling as they seem to know of your secret glee. Birds are chirping a happy tune. It makes us wonder why we do not live everyday like this.

Then the woman seems to ruin the mood. First, she has to ask, “How were you when you were younger?” Then it is followed by, “Why have you never been in love before?” So you reply, “What do you want me

to say?” Then against his better judgment Clint invites Streep to come away with him and leave her loveless life behind. Classic woman ensues as she follows her head instead of her heart and turns him down.

She breaks Clint’s heart. Why did she do this? I hate her. At one moment she had her hand on the truck door handle and thought of running to Clint.

We all hoped for this turn of events. Would she go or not? You will have to watch the movie to find out the answer to this one.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112811525290230/k2311a1128/11.28.08