Mary Ellen’s Best Press Starch Alternative
  • When I found this product, I knew there'd be no more starch marks
  • I know that spray starch costs 1.00, but this product completely out matches any spray starch I've ever used, and is totally worth the extra cost

• by Rhonlynn

While shopping in a local quilt shop, I came across this nifty product by Mary Ellen. It is called Best Press Alternative.

Starch sometimes leaves white starch marks on dark clothing after ironing. It leaves stiff spots, and it flakes. This can be eliminated with Best Starch Alternative.

Best Starch Alternative is a great product, and about the only one of it’s kind. It’s non aerosol lightly fragranced, liquid in a spray bottle. As far as I can see, it is only available in fabric and

quilt shops, maybe certain yarn shops as well. I’d not use my iron without it.

On the package, it reads, “Reduces stubborn wrinkles; Makes ironing easier; Non-flaking even on dark fabrics; Makes clothes soil resistant.” It is shaken well, then sprayed on the garment lightly. You wait a few seconds and iron as usual. The light fragrance stays in the clothing, and the garment appears to be starched after ironing.

Yet, this is not a heavy starch product. There is no residue. that is one thing I ...

• love about this product. My seventeen year old son works at a grocery store,and the uniform is a white button up the front shirt, and black pants. When I use regular starch it shows up on the black pants, not matter how careful I am. When I found this product, I knew there’d be no more starch marks. When sprayed on the white shirts, it acts as if the shirt is heavily starched.

I’ve used it repeatedly on his white shirts, black and khaki pants, my jeans

and pants as well. Every article of clothing reacts very well with Best Press Alternative.

I have one complaint. Unless you shop at quilt shops or fabric shops, you’re not going to find it. Yet, it is such a great product, there’s a reason to go out of your way to locate it. It is around 5.99 for 16 ounces, which lasts a while. I know that spray starch costs 1.00, but this product completely out matches any spray starch I’ve ever used, and is totally worth the extra cost.

Rhonlynn replies :

Well, the alternative is harder on your fabric, and not natural, the Mary Elllen`s doesn`t leave a starch mark after it`s ironed.

debra glowacki says :

Hi, I would like to know what the difference is between the starch alternatiuve and plain linen water.

Galega says :

Starch Alternative is used for ironing purposes. If you don’t like the starch being used on your clothes, then you can go for this starch alternative. Plain Linen Water is also used while washing clothes. It is basically used to give fragrance along with controlling wrinkles on clothes.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 532611524120630/k2311a1126/11.26.08