Chicken Paprika recipe  » Recipes  »
  • When I was in high school, our band would take an annual trip to NYC to see a Broadway musical and experience a different kind of restaurant than we were used to
  • The first time I went with them, we saw 1776 and ate at a German restaurant on West 53rd St. Not being familiar with anything German, I chose what I thought was safe - Chicken Paprika
  • I think this would also work in a crockpot, but you'd have to wait until near the end to add the sour cream and flour

• by chatombreux

When I was in high school, our band would take an annual trip to NYC to see a Broadway musical and experience a different kind of restaurant than we were used to. The first time I went with them, we saw “1776″ and ate at a German restaurant on West 53rd St. Not being familiar with anything German, I chose what I thought was “safe” - Chicken Paprika.

OMG! I absolutely LOVED it!! Now here I am, 38 years later, and I still feel the same way. I absolutely LOVE IT!! And, last night, my guy friend made me dinner at his place - he

made Chicken Paprika. It was sooo good! He gave me all the leftovers and I reheated it for tonight’s supper for my mother. Plus, I have two platters made up for later. It is so wonderful!

Anyway, I thought I’d share the recipe with you because something that wonderful shouldn’t be hoarded - it should be shared with everyone!! Of course, I can’t afford to invite you all over for dinner, but I can give you the recipe to make for yourselves.

Here it is:

2 whole chicken breasts, split, with bones and skin removed 1 large onion, chopped 4 T. butter, divided 1/2 c.

• water (or chicken broth) 2 T. Sweet Hungarian Paprika, divided** 1 8oz. carton sour cream 2 T. flour Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large skillet, sauté the onion in 2 Tbsp. butter until golden. Remove from the skillet and set aside. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt, pepper and 1 Tbsp. paprika; cook chicken in 2 Tbsp. butter until just cooked using the same skillet. Add water (or chicken broth), 1 Tbsp. paprika and the sautéed onions to the chicken; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Mix the flour into the sour cream. Lower the heat under the chicken and add the sour cream / flour mix. Simmer for

about 5 more minutes or until the sauce is thick. Serve over hot buttered noodles or spaetzle*. Serves 4.

**Results are said to not be the same if using other than Sweet Hungarian Paprika. I don’t know if the spicier version will ruin it or not. But, I love it the way it is. It’s just a wonderful German comfort food.

*Rice is also an option, but for me, it would just lose something with rice.

My friend put his in the oven after combining everything and it turned out great. I think this would also work in a crockpot, but you’d have to wait until near the end to add the sour cream and flour.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 492511523161230/k2311a1125/11.25.08