Sony s730 digital camera  » Cameras  »
  • As those who have read my recent reviews will know, I have a lot of experience in photography and have used and owned a great many digital cameras
  • I love it now, the picture quality on digital is just so sharp and clear
  • I know that this statement may provoke a negative reaction from the more traditional sorts in the photographic world, but you cannot escape the quality of the digital camera
  • This camera, although sleek in its design, feels bullet proof, like it could withstand all sorts of trauma and still take amazing quality photos
  • Although I would choose a higher spec camera, but if I were on a budget, I think the Sony s730 digital camera is the camera I would choose

• by tomcat99

As those who have read my recent reviews will know, I have a lot of experience in photography and have used and owned a great many digital cameras. I have to say that I do like the digital camera revolution. I have my old fashioned SLR camera, but this digital phase in photography has really caught my attention, and I have chosen to roll with the times and have accepted this digital phenomenon. I love it now, the picture quality on digital is just so sharp and clear. There is no getting away from the fact that digital produces better results. I know that this statement may provoke a negative reaction from the more traditional sorts in the photographic world, but you cannot escape the quality of the digital camera. It is there for all to see.

In my mind there are two clear market leaders in the world of digital photography - Samsung and Sony. Both of these manufacturers create products of superb build quality and operation. Samsung offer a more affordable, and therefore better value product, whilst Sony go all out and give you the very best in personal digital photography equipment. This Sony s730 digital camera is no different.

The first thing that you notice is the stunning build quality. This camera, although sleek in its design,

feels bullet proof, like it could withstand all sorts of trauma and still take amazing quality photos. I love the build quality on this (and all Sony digital cameras), it gives you the confidence to take the pictures that you want, and not be terrified that some how your delicate piece of technology will get damaged. It is a great feeling to know that your digital camera is well built enough to keep up with your lifestyle. For me this is the defining characteristic of Sony. This is the reason that Sony are leaders above all their compitition.

That all being said, the Sony s730 digital camera is sonys most basic camera that I have ever seen. I have not seen such a modestly priced Sony camera. Coming in at £100 this is not cheap, but nothing of this quality would ever be cheap. With Sony you get what you pay for, if you are not happy to pay this for a basic camera then buy a Samsung! (I mean no disrespect to Samsung here, they make great cameras and much better value than Sony.)

As Sony’s entry level digital camera, the Sony s730 digital camera gives you an average 7.2 mega pixels to play with. This is fast becoming the industry standard mega pixel capability, even although just six ...

• months ago the mention of a 7 mega pixel camera would have had people very excited indeed! It is scary how quickly technology advances. We all struggle to keep up with it.

The screen on this camera is a little disappointing. Coming in at a rather small 2.4 inches, it is smaller than you would expect for Sony, yet when you are actually using the camera there is virtually no difference between this and the industry standard 2.5 inch screens. The only difference in reality is on paper. All boys like to have the best spec devices so that when we go to the pub we can boast of the stats and spec of our toys! It is a sad male condition, and hopefully one day we can grow out of it, to the relief of all the Sony s730 digital camera owners who will finally be able to relax!

I am not even going to comment on the digital zoom capability of this device, mainly because there is no good reason for ever wanting or using a digital zoom. I have said it time and again - the only thing that a digital zoom does is that it warps the photo you are taking. A digital zoom simply makes each pixel bigger in order to

‘zoom’ in on something. This makes an object very distorted. It is not a clever way to work, and not at all advisable for any photograph, as you end up with a blurry mess. the Sony s730 digital camera has a digital zoom of x6, which is better than some competition cameras. But as I say, please don’t waste time even thinking about this useless feature.

The optical zoom is a basic x3. This is pretty much universal across the manufacturers in their entry level cameras, it is a little sore that this entry level camera is twice the price of others with the same spec zooms etc.

The internal memory of the camera is 22mb. This is not especially large, and would only hold a few photos. But this, like the digital zoom, is largely irrelevant as everyone would use some form of memory card with their camera, on one uses just the internal memory of their camera!

Although the features on this camera are a little thin on the ground, the build quality is so high that I would choose this camera over most of the competition out there. Although I would choose a higher spec camera, but if I were on a budget, I think the Sony s730 digital camera is the camera I would choose.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 432411522020430/k2311a1124/11.24.08