Standard Bank Savings account  » Finance  »
South Africa
  • This is the current account characteristic that I like most about this savings account type

• by Jayscribe

As a young man who is solely involved in multiple business ventures, spanning over a variety of things, I need to have an account that manages my funds for me without much bank charges or complicated processes.

I have since acquired a savings account with the Standard Bank of South Africa and this has helped me in many ways. My funds are all kept in one

place, very safely and I have access to them at any time I require them.

This account works well as a savings account as well as a current account for me as the bank charges are structured in such as way that I can withdraw some money and make transfers and other operations without being charged each time. This is the current account characteristic that I ...

• like most about this savings account type.

I also have enabled the internet banking facility and this allows me to carry out some of my transactions online at high speeds, and I find the facilities to be safe and very user friendly.

I find this type of account to be the ideal one for people like me, who are at a transition between being a student

and entering the corporate or business world.

I also love the fact that I can use my bank card at any ATM, so in the rare occasion that there is no Standard Bank ATM around, I can still gain access to my funds by making use of other ATMs. This is the only time where the bank charges are a bit sore for me, which can be expected though.

Bijendra Bajracharya says :

Dear Sir Madam, I would like to know weather bank gives higher interest for students or not, does it cost any money for opening an account, do i need to renew account for several times, can ATM cards be used as debit cards, will i be granted lockers for my valuable property and does bank gives interest on it? Please erase my curiosity about these matters. Sincerely, Future customer.

M says :

Hi Bijendra,

a.) Banks does not give higher interest for students.
    b.) Yes, it does cost money for opening an account. It depends on their initial deposit.
    c.) No, you wont need to renew your account for several times. As long as you have maintained their maintaining balance. You have to maintain a certain balance so that you will not be charged for Service Charges, or this may cause the closure of your bank account.
    d.) Its called Safety deposit box, and banks does not give interest on it, instead you will pay the bank monthly yearly for using Safety Deposit bank.

If you have further concerns, you may Call Standard Bank Customer Support Hotline number at
    0860 123 000
    27 11 299 4701
    0860 123 108

Galega says :

You are from India and I can say you that no bank in India offers anything special when it comes to interest rate for students’ account.

Standard Chartered Bank, the subject of this review, doesn’t offer any special account for students in India. Hence, there is no question as such with this bank.

Opening account is absolutely free. You are required to deposit the fixed initial amount to open an account. Currently, it is Rs. 10, 000. This is not a cost. This is the minimum balance you are required to have in your account - on monthly basis. Please note, bank do charge small amount yearly for ATM and Debit card.

You don’t need to renew your account. You will be needed to renew your ATM cum Debit card after certain period of time.

All ATM cards in India can be used as debit card.

You can use Locker facility at select locations of this bank. The band doesn’t offer any interest on locker facility. They will charge money on yearly basis for the same.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 422311521911030/k2311a1123/11.23.08