The Tower of London  » Movies  »
  • Especially since I have always enjoyed watching Vincent Price ply his trade
  • I think that it was important for Karloff to expose this gentle nature in relation to his evilness as it appears in many of his films
  • So, all in all I would have to recommend this classic movie be revisited by today's audience

• by Manolo

The Tower of London with Basil Rathbone, Boris Karloff, and Vincent Price. When I saw the list of this all star cast, I felt compelled to make this a must see film. Especially since I have always enjoyed watching Vincent Price ply his trade.

Sadly, this was one of his earlier films and his role as the cowardly, drunken noble was shallow and devoid of his twisted impact that we see in his future works. Karloff and Rathbone,

on the other hand deliver superior performances and their evilness shone through.

The story opens up in 14th Century England. We are welcomed to events to come by observing the bald, club footed Karloff sharpening his executioner’s axe in the infamous London Tower.

As he beheads a supposed traitor, we hear a scraggly old crone predict that there will be 213 deaths and this is only number 95. Rathbone is fifth in the line for replacing his brother King Edward and is obsessed with the removal of all ahead of him.

An effective mechanism for his display of insanity is the use of dolls resembling the targets of his plan. As he kills each predecessor, he throws the doll into the fireplace and laughs with glee.

There are two battle scenes in the movie and the use of fog and rain serve to over compensate for the lack of realism. It is your usual cheesy battle with swords and spears ...

• The Tower of London
      that are difficult to make look entertaining.

The film is full of effective bizarre scenes that do make the audience become involved. Some examples are the eerie ringing of the Tower bells and a wedding ceremony of 5 year olds.

Karloff appears tall in this film and with his club foot walks like Frankenstein. As we watch him use torture devices, such as the iron maiden and the rack, we can sense his enjoyment at causing pain in others.

Still,

when he puts a young prince to bed, we see that he does have a gentle side. I think that it was important for Karloff to expose this gentle nature in relation to his evilness as it appears in many of his films.

I must admit that I did expect more terror from this movie given the all star cast, but it was well produced and did provide a happy ending. So, all in all I would have to recommend this classic movie be revisited by today’s audience.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112211520800330/k2311a1122/11.22.08