Acer Travelmate 6292-102G16N CORE 2 DUO
  • I already have some experience with Acer computers because my sister has one but she takes such a great care of it that it is turned on rather rarely
  • What I noticed first about Acer Travelmate 6292-102G16N CORE 2 DUO was the web cam which is already integrated
  • It also has an integrated microphone and although this can seem rather practical because you can avoid cables and headphones and regular microphones but that's not really true because the quality of the sound is much worst than when you have a normal microphone which you keep close to your mouth
  • This computer has 160Gb of memory and a processor of 1800 and MB RAM 2048, in my opinion that's really great specially because I don't play games on he computer so I don't need it o be particularly fast or strong, but what I noticed is that when I have Firefox, torrent, VLC and some other programs open in the same time the computer is much faster than my one which tends to get rather slow when torrent is turned on, I kind a hate that about my computer because I have to turn off torrent when I want to use MSN and then, when I turn it on, it needs a while to start receiving files as fast as before I turned it off
  • Of course such a great computer costs quite a lot of money, specially because these small computers cost more than regular ones, my friend said he paid about €1000 for it which is really a lot of money, but I think that this computer is worth it, of course if you can afford to spend so much money on a computer

• by lorelai

Acer Travelmate 6292-102G16N CORE 2 DUO really is such a great computer, I’ve been using it for days already because a friend landed it to me because I had to leave my one at the repairs. I have Benq joybook A51, and although I really I adore that computer because I’ve been having it for 2 years already and I must admit that we’ve been through a lot together (maybe I should say that IT went through a lot with me) I recognize that Acer Travelmate 6292-102G16N CORE 2 DUO is like million times betters. I already have some experience with Acer computers because my sister has one but she takes such a great care of it that it is turned on rather rarely. What I noticed first about Acer Travelmate 6292-102G16N CORE 2 DUO was the web cam which is already integrated.

I must say that I haven’t been using a web cam before because my computer doesn’t have it and then one can’t know if he/she likes something before he/she doesn’t try it, that was my case with web cam. I usually call my parents from the computer to their computer because we live in different countries and international calls are really expensive so I call them with Msn or Skype and we used to talk only but when I made my first call with Acer Travelmate 6292-102G16N CORE 2 DUO the first thing was to turn on the web cam. It is so great to be able to do that.

The name of the camera is Orbicam, which actually means that you can rotate it but I really don’t find this very useful because I am usually in front of the computer when I use

it so what’s the point of having a rotating web cam? Anyway the resolution quite high and the picture is really clear. It also has an integrated microphone and although this can seem rather practical because you can avoid cables and headphones and regular microphones but that’s not really true because the quality of the sound is much worst than when you have a normal microphone which you keep close to your mouth. This computer has 160Gb of memory and a processor of 1800 and MB RAM 2048, in my opinion that’s really great specially because I don’t play games on he computer so I don’t need it o be particularly fast or strong, but what I noticed is that when I have Firefox, torrent, VLC and some other programs open in the same time the computer is much faster than my one which tends to get rather slow when torrent is turned on, I kind a hate that about my computer because I have to turn off torrent when I want to use MSN and then, when I turn it on, it needs a while to start receiving files as fast as before I turned it off.

But with this computer I can use MSN, I mean, make calls and use the torrent in the same time which is really great. The file transfer to USB and external hard drive is really fast too, it takes about 2 minute to transfer 4GB of data and that’s really fast because sometimes it takes 10 minutes or more for my computer to transfer the same amount of data. This computer has 2kg and it has 12,1 inch screen.

I must admit that I prefer 15 inch screens but my ...

• friend is really delighted with this size of the screen because he travels a lot and it is easier for him to take with him a smaller computer than a big one, that’s one he wanted a smaller computer in the first place. The computer is of a dark grey colour and although I prefer silver computers, at least partly silver I think this one is very nice too. It came with Windows Vista and although my sister has Vista on her computer for 6 months already I haven’t worked much with it so it was all new to me and I needed some time to get used to Vista.

There’s also an integrated WiFi but all the computers have that, even my one has it and it is 2 years old. What I find really great is that the LAN port is on he left side of the computer and not at the back of it as in at my computer so it is much easier to plug the cable in it, I don’t have wireless internet any more and this cable thing can really become annoying specially if you have to get up o plug it in or rotate the computer. But the problem is that when you plug the line in you have to turn the cable upside down, I mean, it goes in the computer in a different way than it enters in my one and as I have to rotate the cable I’ve noticed that sometimes it can’t find internet while I have never had similar problems with my computer.

My sister has the same problem with her computer. You get the Li-ion battery which can last for up to 5 hours but I

have never tried that because I usually use it when it is plugged. You also get a DVD burner and all these softwares Cyberlink PowerDVD , Acer Launch Manager , Norton Internet Security , NTI CD-Maker , Acer GridVista , Adobe Reader , Acer Empowering Technology , Acer Bio-Protection , Acer Crystal Eye , Acer PureZone , Acer Video Conference Manager , Microsoft Office Ready 2007 (Trial) but I’ve also installed Nero because I like that program very much specially now when you can even watch movies with it.

I didn’t know what this Bio-Protection was but then I googled it and found out that it was actually some sort of system which enables you the access to the computer by the fingerprint control or something like. Pretty fancy. It also has blue tooth which didn’t make me very happy but my boyfriend was because he transferred a lot of ring tones to his cell phone which I had to download for him.

My cell phone doesn’t have blue tooth so I wasn’t able to take advantage of that unfortunately. The only thing that kind a surprised me was that his computer had only 3 USB ports while my computer, 2 years older than this one has 4 of them. I know that that’s just 1 port less but still you can’t really have too many USB ports because you always need them.

Of course such a great computer costs quite a lot of money, specially because these small computers cost more than regular ones, my friend said he paid about €1000 for it which is really a lot of money, but I think that this computer is worth it, of course if you can afford to spend so much money on a computer.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 632211520391230/k2311a1122/11.22.08