Zinedine Zedane  » People  »
  • The greatest footballer of my time, I think, is the godfather of football, Zinedine Zidane
  • As my best footballer in the world, I was disappointed at the fact that I started following his career rather late but I made amends by acquiring tapes of his old games in order to make sure that I saw most of his games
  • Of all the games I have seen him in, one of the best ones for me, was one where he was playing for France against Brazil, in the 1998 FIFA World Cup final match, in which he really imposed himself on the game to make sure of the 3-0 victory by scoring two goals
  • I really feel that this is one of, if not the greatest player of the past century and I agree with the decision to crown him the player of the century as I really feel he deserves it

• by Jayscribe

The greatest footballer of my time, I think, is the godfather of football, Zinedine Zidane. I really think there was no better footballer in the time of Zinedine Zidane and his achievements bear testimony to my statement.

It came as disappointment for me to learn that Zidane was soon to retire from professional football soon after the 2006 FIFA World Cup as I though it was a rather premature retirement although I understood completely, based on the reasons he gave for his decision. I instantly knew that one of the greatest footballers to ever walk this planet would be lost to the game and leave a gaping hole that will take a very long time as well as something very special to fill.

As my best footballer in the

world, I was disappointed at the fact that I started following his career rather late but I made amends by acquiring tapes of his old games in order to make sure that I saw most of his games.

Of all the games I have seen him in, one of the best ones for me, was one where he was playing for France against Brazil, in the 1998 FIFA World Cup final match, in which he really imposed himself on the game to make sure of the 3-0 victory by scoring two goals.

I really loved watching him handle the ball as I got this sensation as if there was some sort of magnetic field created by his feet that attracted the ball strongly. He would surprise me often with ...

• some new inventions on the field and the skill I liked to see him do the most was his famous 360 degree turn that saw him leave up to five opposition players standing in amazement and wondering what just happened.

What I realized though, about Zidanes’s game, is the fact that he was productive and has this natural ability to create goal scoring opportunities and often scored him self, in sublime fashion and style.

Another bleating fact that just became so obvious to me is that France, as a team, relied heavily on Zidane and this was evident to me when I watched a series of French games without Zidane in the qualifications for the Euro 2008 and France was really struggling. The then retired Zidane was asked to

come out of retirement by the national team coach to help France in their quest to qualify for the finals of the championships and it was at this moment when I realized exactly how influential Zidane actually is. I immediately saw his presence felt as France immediately started to win games, and ultimately qualify for the European championships.

My observation was further supported by my witnessing of the actual finals of the Euros, where France really failed to make any impact at all, as Zidane was not part of the mix.

I really feel that this is one of, if not the greatest player of the past century and I agree with the decision to crown him the player of the century as I really feel he deserves it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 522211520341230/k2311a1122/11.22.08