Movie Hairspray  » Movies  »
2.5
  • I have to say though in my opinion, that the cast made this version a bit more bearable
  • He was definitely a character I did not expect, of course he is an excellent dancer in any role

• by LP Jardine

I watched the movie Hairspray this evening. This was the 2007 updated version. I have to admit that I did not really like the original movie. I did not expect too much from this version.

Hairspray is a musical/ comedy.

I have to say though in my opinion, that the cast

made this version a bit more bearable. There were quite a few recognizable faces in this movie. Some wonderful singing voices. Queen Latifa as Maybelle was excellent, she has a wonderful voice.

The setting of the movie is a dance show in the 1960’s, the integration of the dancers is a point ...

• of the movie.

Nikki Blonsky who played Tracy is an unknown actress. She did an okay job in the role.

Other faces I recognized were Zac Efron, Michelle Pfeiffer, Amanda Bynes, Christophe Walken and John Travolta. Ricki Lake, who played Tracy in the 1980’s movie makes a cameo appearance.

Travolta’s portrayal was very, very

funny. He was definitely a character I did not expect, of course he is an excellent dancer in any role.

I was interested to see Travolta working with Pfeiffer I had wanted to see them collaborate for years.

The movie was campy, but was enjoyable as long as you don’t expect too much from it.

Movie Hairspray

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111911518100730/k2311a1119/11.19.08