Starbucks Chai Tea Latte  » Food  »
  • I have to say that I don't like Starbucks as a rule
  • This has been my favourite tea for a long time, even more than traditional breakfast tea (which is a big thing considering I am from Scotland)
  • I love the spice, I love the flavours that happen in your mouth as you sip it
  • One of my friends recently described chai tea as being like Christmas in a cup (on account of all the spices etc) and I have to say that I agree with her
  • While I do say that I like it, I couldn't drink more than one in a day

• by tomcat99

One of the most recent drinks made available by the worlds most well known coffee house chain is the Starbucks Chai Tea Latte. This is clearly a drink designed to tap in to the increasing interest in all things Eastern, whether it be foods or spirituality.

I have to say that I don’t like Starbucks as a rule. I find the coffee so very processed that it stops tasting like fresh coffee to me. In fact I don’t drink it at all. The only things I have been known to drink from Starbucks are their hot chocolates and lattes.

That said however I have always had a love for Chai tea. This has been my favourite tea for a long time, even more than traditional breakfast tea (which is a big thing considering I am from Scotland). I love the spice, I love the flavours that happen in

your mouth as you sip it. One of my friends recently described chai tea as being like Christmas in a cup (on account of all the spices etc) and I have to say that I agree with her. The spices are tremendous and there is something decidedly festive about the whole thing.

So it was with mixed feelings that I decided to try thr Starbucks Chai Tea Latte, as I love coffee but hate what they have done to it. I cannot make up my mind whether to love or to hate this drink. It is everything that I both love and hate in hot drinks. I love the spice of the chai tea, and this version of chai has spices in spades. The taste is strong and ever so sweet. If anything it is too sweet and is the thing I most hate about this drink.

• The Starbucks Chai Tea Latte has taken the elements of chai tea and have boiled them down (excuse the pun ) to the lowest common denominator. Chai tea used to divide people you either love it or you hate it. It was a drink with an edge to it. But those edges have been worn away, sanded down in a frothy sea of milk and sugar.

All of the best bits in my opinion have been removed in a bid to make this drink a big seller. They have done to the latte what McDonalds have done to the once glorious hamburger. They have taken it and destroyed its soul. They have taken from it, its identity in a bid to make it as non-offesnive as possible to as many people as they can. In reality however, what this means is they have ruined this

drink for its fans, and made a poor imitation for everyone else. Now people who don’t know any better claim to like chai without ever having actually tasted it.

The thing is that I do like this creation of Starbucks, I just with that they did not try and label it with the chai tag. Spicy tea would have been close enough without alienating true fans of the drink.

While I do say that I like it, I couldn’t drink more than one in a day. It is just too sweet. The taste is just too much to have a lot of. I would say that its refreshing but its not. This drink is so creamy that it puts me to sleep rather than wakes me up. The taste is good, nice and plesant. But please Starbucks its not chai, so don’t pretend that it is.

Starbucks Chai Tea Latte
    hex says :

So basically your problem with the latte is that it makes it too easy for other people to be as cool as you? If you`re saying chai tea, ever, you can`t be that fussed about accuracy and cultural respect, as chai literally means tea, and you`re just saying tea tea.

anita says :

I just declared that I will never ever order another SB chai latte again in my life You hit on all the points. this is not even chai and is so sweet it feels very toxic. Found a good one going directly to Teavana. Also Second Cup’s is not bad….

Tori says :

You’re absolutely right–Starbucks tends to oversweeten everything they make. You might try creating your own Chai blend–I’ve recently started mixing my own loose leaf teas and I’ve found that I love it. It’s very easy to get tea leaves and bulk spices online. Once you have some basic ingredients, you can customize teas to your heart’s content. Of course, though, nothing beats having someone else make a chai latte for you, and that usually involves paying for it :)

Hope you find the chai latte of your dreams

T.

Meme says :

Teavana is literally the same ingredients as Starbucks..

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 271811517670830/k2311a1118/11.18.08