The Realm of the Gods by Tamora Pierce
  • I enjoyed it, although I didn't quite understand why some of the events which occurred had to happen
  • I really enjoyed some of the characters in the book, especially the darkings, which I thought were an interesting idea and kind of cute

• by booklover

This novel, The Realms of the Gods, which is written for adults and older youths, is a continuation of the The Immortals series. While it is the 4th book of the series, it is the first of Tamora Pierce’s books which I have read. I enjoyed it, although I didn’t quite understand why some of the events which occurred had to happen. I imagine it

would have been clearer and more enjoyable if I had read the previous books in the series.

I really enjoyed some of the characters in the book, especially the darkings, which I thought were an interesting idea and kind of cute. For parts of the book, I felt very involved in the book and quite caught in the action, but for other parts, I felt a ...

• bit disjointed - less in the book. It was still a very satisfactory read, and the action moved along quite swiftly.

The ending was a bit less than satisfying, both because it turned the point of the book into the girl being part of a relationship and because it felt a bit Deus Ex Machina - sort of like nothing is working for any of

the other characters but as soon as the girl starts doing things, everything gets fixed and her side wins. Obviously this is not entirely how it happens, but there is that feel to it as she is away for awhile and during that time, her kingdom is under siege, but as soon as she returns the siege turns as well, and she brings back supernatural help.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171811517340730/k2311a1118/11.18.08