Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Frontierland, Walt Disney World, FL  » Travel  »
  • So when we were going, I had read up on it and found that I was supposed to go on it both during the day and then again at night in order to fully experience the ride the right way
  • Definitely do this ride and make sure you get a chance to do it at night as well

• by Why Georgia

One ride at the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World, FL that has not been there since the very beginning is “Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.” I can remember all the buzz and excitement when everyone knew it was coming, but it hadn’t opened yet. Then when it did, it always seemed to have the worst queue lines!

I didn’t go on it right away when it opened in 1980, but rather I waited a few years and went on it when my family spent a five day visit at Walt Disney World about twelve years later. Now let me say right up front that I am not a lover of Roller Coasters at all. I do not do Thrill Rides. My daughter was actually the one who convinced me to try this ride saying that it wasn’t really all that scary and it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as most roller coasters in other parks.

So when we were going, I had read up on it and found

that I was supposed to go on it both during the day and then again at night in order to fully experience the ride the right way. So that is what I did. We waited one hour and ten minutes to get on the ride that first time! I was so hot and so tired of standing by the time we got up to the front of the line.

Now the theme behind Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is that gold prospectors were thieving in the Wyoming’s mountain known as “Big Thunder” Thing of it is, the Mountain was known to be a sacred burial ground for Native Americans. The legend that was passed down was that if the gold was removed from Big Thunder, there would be this awful disaster. Well, the gold prospectors being the greedy little buggers that they were paid no attention to the warning and went ahead and took the train down into the mines anyway to mine the gold. Legend ...

• has it that this made the Native Americans ripping mad and they ended up causing the train to go crazy and have a mind of it’s own. The miners disappeared! After that, the mines were annihilated by a freak earthquake! The miners were never found and the town of Tumbleweed disappeared as well.

Well my first ride wasn’t as bad as I had anticipated. It was just the level of “thrill” that I liked. It was supposed to be a runaway train. The drops were not that bad though, but the special effects of the abandoned mining town and the fact that the “train” is going around this big huge mountain as it makes it way around the turns, hills and dips makes it a really fun ride.

I did go back on it at night and I took someone’s advice and went on it when the fireworks began. We nearly walked right on it with no wait. At night, the special effects are much better

and we also sat in the back of the train this trip and it felt faster and a little more thrilling too!

The engine in front pulls five cars for a total of 15 rows. There are 20 Audio-Animatronics involved in the way of Donkey’s and Chickens and Professor Cumulus Isobar! You actually smell sulphur when you go past the pools of phosphorous on the ride and you see the red lights that are supposed to be eyes of who knows what that lives in the caves! That’s why I said these special effects that are so much a part of everything Disney are so much better to see at night.

Definitely do this ride and make sure you get a chance to do it at night as well. It’s not that scary and roller coaster lovers are not going to find this has the scary thrill factor, but it has the magic touch of Disney with all the little nuances that make it unique and fun.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381811517070730/k2311a1118/11.18.08