Jockey Ridge State Park, Nagshead, NC  » Travel  »
  • I believe the park system actually has a program for seeing sunsets at Jockey Ridge
  • If you get to the Outer Banks, definitely make a point of checking out Jockey Ridge and the Park
  • When we got to the picnic tables, we noticed they also had grills there

• by Why Georgia

When we vacation in the Outer Banks, which is sometimes yearly and at least every few years, we always go to Hatteras Island as a rule because we prefer the quiet and laid back atmosphere that it provides. We have though, taken a day trip up to Nag’s Head to go to a place called Jockey’s Ridge State Park.

Jockey’s Ridge is the tallest natural Sand Dune on the East Coast of the United States. It’s always anywhere from 110-140 feet tall depending on the wind. It is always shifting slightly one way or the other because of wind direction. It’s very popular and people come here to do all sorts of activities. Even if you simply come to see it, you should. You can’t miss it. It’s huge!

They have different programs and activities at the State Park all the time. It’s very popular to go there at night during sunset. I believe the park system actually has a program for

seeing sunsets at Jockey Ridge. You often see people flying kites there as well because it’s absolutely perfect for that! I didn’t see anybody hang gliding but I understand many people do. I’d love to go watch that sometime!

We went and took a picnic lunch with us. They have several picnic tables in the park and we had lunch there after we walked the two self-guided nature trails and hiked up the huge dunes. The trails are nice and have information about the vegetation there and wildlife. We saw rabbits along the walk and lots of birds. I recognized Egrets, Osprey and even a Pelican! The real treat though, was on our way out, my husband spotted a fox! I got so many good wildlife pictures there along the nature trails.

One is a one and a half mile trail that goes from the parking area on over to the dunes, up over them and over to ...

• the sound side. There is also a 384 foot boardwalk path that is much easier for anyone that isn’t up to hiking the dunes. I don’t fault anyone for this. When I was here, I was still able to hike and climb the dunes. Now, I seriously doubt that I could after getting older and having back problems. I’m just glad I did get to while I was still able. Even if you just do the boardwalk, you still get a really nice view of the dunes at the end of it though.

When we went up in the dunes, there were little kids running and rolling down the hill, giggling like mad! A couple of teenagers were sand boarding down the dunes. I had never seen this done before. It looked like fun actually!

After we had lunch, we went over to the sound side and walked the 1 mile trail over there. When you get to the

end of it, there is an overlook area. This walk was a little on the buggy side and we got some nice mosquito bites as a result! When we got to the overlook of the Sound, we stood there awhile and watched some people wading in the sound and someone putting in their Kayak. It’s a nice little area that you can get to on the Sound Side that give you a good access to the water there.

If you get to the Outer Banks, definitely make a point of checking out Jockey Ridge and the Park. It’s a good way to spend at least an afternoon even if you don’t do the hiking.

When we got to the picnic tables, we noticed they also had grills there. I wish I had known because it would’ve been fun to cook there instead of just bringing a cold picnic lunch. They also have restrooms there as well, which is always nice.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381811517020730/k2311a1118/11.18.08