Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse, Manteo, NC  » Travel  »
  • Unfortunately, when the original was deteriorating, it was no longer being used and a private party attempted to move the Lighthouse to another location which was private property in 1955 and the Lighthouse was lost into the Sound in that effort during rough waters when it fell off of a barge
  • It's very different than most tall tower type Lighthouses and it's definitely among the smallest
  • I saw one similar on the West Coast of Florida and fell in love with that one so when I learned of this one in Manteo, I couldn't wait to get there and check it out and take my fill of pictures
  • I think the Lighthouses are such an important part of our history and it's sad when one is lost for whatever reason
  • Very pretty and very interesting history behind it

• by Why Georgia

On one of our many vacations to Hatteras Island, we decided to stop off on the way there in the town of Manteo in order to go in search of one of my passions; the passion of finding, photographing and learning about as many Lighthouses as I can.

The town of Manteo is just North East of the Outer Banks so before we got to the Outer Banks we turned off and headed for the Manteo waterfront and the Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse which is on East side of Roanoke Island. The Lighthouse is not the original lighthouse, but rather a replica and it is not located where the original one was either. The original Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse was located in Croatan Sound.

waters when it fell off of a barge.

However, the beautiful replica of the Square Cottage Style Screw-pile Lighthouse was recreated and is now a a part of a Historical Museum and also is the site of many educational classes and events that are held throughout the year by the North Carolina Maritime Museum. This style of lighthouse is basically a cottage that was the Light keeper’s quarters and the Light is positioned atop the Keeper’s house. It’s very different than most tall tower type Lighthouses and it’s definitely among the smallest. This replica was built identical to the original on the exterior but it was left open inside rather than made into the Keeper’s Quarters in order to facilitate classes and events that may be held there by the Maritime Museum.

When we got there, I couldn’t wait to take pictures. I love this style Lighthouse. I saw one similar on the West Coast of Florida and fell in love with that one so ...

• when I learned of this one in Manteo, I couldn’t wait to get there and check it out and take my fill of pictures. I’m not sure why I go so nuts over Lighthouses, but I do. I have Lighthouses all over my house in one form or another. I have Lighted Lighthouses on display, as well as Lighthouse lamps and all my pictures that I’ve taken are matted and framed in various spots around my home as well. I guess I could have worse hobbies!

The people that work for the Maritime Musem are all volunteers and they obviously very much love what they do. They are enthusiastic, more than willing to talk to you about the Lighthouse’s history and all the various activities that the North Carolina Maritime Museum organizes. They have had a “Build a Boat in a day” program as well as many different sailing lesson classes that they organize each year.

Inside the lighthouse itself, they have educational information regarding maritime

history and the history of the Lighthouse itself. We visited the Lighthouse at the absolute perfect time because after we visited, we went and got a bite to eat in Manteo and as we were leaving, we got to see the lighting of the Beacon which is a Fourth order Fresnel lens that the maritime museum says is on loan to them from the US Coast Guard.

I’m really glad to hear that they rebuilt this replica. I think the Lighthouses are such an important part of our history and it’s sad when one is lost for whatever reason.

I do recommend if you are interested in Lighthouses or in this area of the East Coast of North Carolina, this trip to see Manteo and the Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse is definitely worth the trip. Very pretty and very interesting history behind it!

Admission to both the Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse and the North Carolina Maritime Museum is free. They do appreciate donations though as it’s entirely volunteer run.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381811517010730/k2311a1118/11.18.08