Gasparilla Island State Park, Boca Grande, FL  » Travel  »
  • The Lighthouse has a really interesting history and is built on top of the Light Keeper's house which is now a museum

• by Why Georgia

When my sister used to live in St. Petersburg, I would often go spend time with her and she and I would go up and down the West Coast of Florida checking out beaches, State Parks, islands, tourist attractions and shopping areas.

One of the places I visited while she lived on the West Coast was Gasparilla Island State Park. The waters off of Gasparilla Island are one of Florida’s biggest shellfish and fishing hot spots. Long after my first visit to this island, my husband and brother in law came back here many many times to try their hand at fishing and were most always rewarded by their efforts with buckets of fish that soon became our dinner!

Gasparilla Island State Park is at the South end of Gasparilla Island. You get over to the

island by going to Placida and taking the Boca Grande Causeway across to Gasparilla Island. The Park has two beaches, Range Light Beach to the South and Sea Grape Beach on the Northern end.

My sister and I, took a picnic lunch and brought our beach gear for the day. We chose a quiet spot on the beach and spread out a blanket and our beach bags and cooler. We went for a really long walk first and picked up shells along the way. The beach here is beautiful. The water around Gasparilla Island is that beautiful blue-green color that you think of when you think of a tropical vacation.

While we were sitting on the blanket talking and getting some sun after our walk, I looked out at the water just ...

• in time to see a couple dolphins jumping back and forth off the shore. I was able to film it with my digital camera zoomed in. My timing was just perfect. I love getting good footage like that!

It got to be early afternoon and we decided to go have our lunch. We were going to picnic on the beach, but the mid day sun was really warm and we decided to take a break and go sit up at the covered picnic shelters in the shade to have lunch.

After lunch, we headed to the wooden lighthouse in Gasparilla Island State Park. I’m a Lighthouse nut so this didn’t even need to be discussed. My sister knew we had to go! The Lighthouse has a really interesting history and is built on

top of the Light Keeper’s house which is now a museum. This lighthouse is one of two that is on Gasparilla Island. The second Lighthouse which is not a type that you can tour is called the Rear Range Light. This one is more of a tower light that stands on a steel structure and has the light assembly on top. I got good pictures of both Lighthouses to add to my collection.

We had a great time here and still do every time we visit. The park has nature trails that you can walk as well. I always seem to be there in the heat of summer though, so I’ve yet to feel like taking a hike while there but I bet they are interesting and have some good wildlife photo ops along the way.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381811516980730/k2311a1118/11.18.08