Palm Island, FL  » Travel  »
  • I think the privacy more than makes up for the color of the sand
  • I love it's atmosphere which is completely natural, laid back, old Florida style

• by Why Georgia

If you have read any of my reviews at all, then you already know that I am a bit of a travel reviewer for the most part. Having been a travel agent at one point in my life, I am very tuned into special places that offer something different than the average destination. When I do find such places, I am always torn between sharing them by telling the world of their existence or keeping them all to myself in the hopes that they remain an uncrowded peaceful little secret getaway.

One of these such places is in Southwest Florida on one of the Barrier Islands. I’m speaking of the little island that is known by three different names, Don Pedro Island, Little Gasparilla Island and Palm Island. What makes this little island so special is how secluded, isolated this place is. The distinct lack of traffic or even roads is so enticing and peaceful.

This island

is only reachable by Ferry and although it is a car ferry, the only ones who travel with their cars on this island are the residents. There are no places to park a car here unless you are a resident or one of the lucky people who are here on vacation staying at one of the house rentals. Primarily, people get around this little island on foot, Golf Cart or by bicycle. You very rarely see a car. The residents only use the cars to go off island to shop.

Does it sound like paradise so far? It should. We stayed a week here in a vacation home. It was absolutely perfect. The island is so unspoiled and so natural. We could walk right out our door and be on the beach in seconds. We’d walk the beach forever and usually not run into anyone. Yes, it’s that secluded.

You will find the beach ...

• here wonderful if you like shelling. My husband did plenty of fishing here as well. The sand here is not the white powder sand that you often see on the gulf coast. It is darker, but that’s okay. I think the privacy more than makes up for the color of the sand. I was told by a resident that the dark color is from fossilized material in the sand that has built up and kept it’s color a light brown.

We got up and had coffee out on the deck overlooking the water. We had dinner at night out on the deck overlooking the water. I spent hours just sitting on the beach reading a book, watching egrets and pelicans stroll about the beach and dunes. At night we’d sit outside on the deck listening to the sounds of nature, sipping a glass of wine and just relaxing. Are you seeing a pattern here?

The ferry you take

to get to Palm Island or Little Gasparilla or Don Pedro if you prefer is just a two minute ride from and it costs $6 per person to go. It leaves the dock all day from 6:30 AM 7 days a week and runs ferry service up to 10:00 PM Sunday through Thursday, until 11:00 PM on Friday and Saturday.

I truly love this little island. I love it’s atmosphere which is completely natural, laid back, old Florida style. I love that I can’t find a mall or an outlet store anywhere on the island. I love that I have to bring my groceries to the island when I come over. I love that I can wear shorts and tank top all day and sandals are optional. I love that we have found some of our best shells here and several good shark’s teeth! I love that this island has no high rises and probably, hopefully, never will!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381811516970730/k2311a1118/11.18.08