Perdido Key, FL  » Travel  »
  • I would so much rather have a good plate full of delicious food that skips the fancy presentation and parsley, the cloth napkins and candlelight
  • Maybe some people find that to be the essence of their best dining experience
  • So be it, but I like being who I am, which is a down to earth, What you see is what you get
  • Definitely do go visit Perdido Key if you get chance, and most definitely take in one of their unusual but fun festivals and events that seem to run every month of the year
  • It's just that if you're not willing to spend major $$ for lodging and dining, I think you'd be happier visiting during the day and spend your dinners and sleep hours in neighboring Pensacola

• by Why Georgia

On my trip to Pensacola on my never ending quest to see Lighthouses, we also spent a couple days visiting Perdido Key. Perdido Key is 247 acres and 16 miles long. It’s beautiful white sugar sand beaches and the warm blue-green waters of the Gulf of Mexico make it an island paradise.

I’ve been to Perdido Key several times and usually to go to one of it’s many unusual festivals and events. It is home to the International Songwriter’s festival, the Polar Bear Dip and the Interstate Mullet Toss. It also has other festivals throughout the year that are more than worth checking out. It has a little over 1000 year round residents that enjoy it’s tropical climate and the very laid back lifestyle Perdido Key offers.

Over 60% of the land on Perdido Key is protected land and part of the National Park Service. The beaches on Perdido Key are popular for swimming, sunbathing, fishing, boating, nature watching and picnicking.

Whenever we have gone there, we have

tried to check out a different park or beach. So far, we have been to The Perdido Key State Park Beach and Johnson Beach. The next trip we want to check out Tarkiln Bayou State Park and Big Lagoon State Park.

The days we went to Perdido Key State Park and Johnson Beach, we took a picnic lunch along and made a day of it, swimming, sunbathing, taking pictures and just completely relaxing in this atmosphere that is darn close to heaven on earth or at least in these protected beaches!

We have stayed at a couple different places while visiting Perdido Key, but hotels and condos over there are outrageously expensive so we have usually opted to stay off island and just go over to Perdido early in the day and not come back to our motel until it starts to get dark. We did stay once at a condo on Perdido Key but it was like $200 per night and although it was nice, it ...

• wasn’t worth a $400 price tag for 2 nights lodging!

Pretty much the dining on Perdido Key is expensive and not really worth the money. We’ve often just got a pizza over there after spending the day at the beach. If we want to have something other than pizza, we end up dining in Pensacola where there are way better choices, food and prices. The restaurants we’ve tried on Perdido Key were big on presentation and price tag and not so big on quality or quantity. I would so much rather have a good plate full of delicious food that skips the fancy presentation and parsley, the cloth napkins and candlelight. Maybe some people find that to be the essence of their best dining experience. So be it, but I like being who I am, which is a down to earth, “What you see is what you get: sort of person that loves good food and a decent amount of it!

Truthfully, this is how I feel overall

about Perdido Key. It has some really beautiful beaches that thankfully are being kept natural and protected. But so much like so many other places that used to be so beautiful at one time, they have allowed developers to come in and ruin it with high rise condos. Perdido Key is more or less for the wealthy. It isn’t simply that I can’t afford those so called luxuries, I just don’t like them. I’d much prefer to stay at a quaint little family run motel or cottage, than to help support those ugly high rises that ruin the natural beauty that once existed.

Definitely do go visit Perdido Key if you get chance, and most definitely take in one of their unusual but fun festivals and events that seem to run every month of the year. It’s just that if you’re not willing to spend major $$ for lodging and dining, I think you’d be happier visiting during the day and spend your dinners and sleep hours in neighboring Pensacola.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381811516770730/k2311a1118/11.18.08