Creative ZEN (8 GB)  » Electronics  »
  • This is especially convenient if you have music on another computer but don't want to bother installing the Zen Media Explorer program
  • I think it just means the program is able to convert those formats into the format the device uses
  • I like that you can customize the background picture, much like how you would change the desktop picture of your computer

• by Cynthia

In a world dominated by iPods, I was looking something a bit different. When choosing an MP3 player, I wanted a device that didn’t need special software to uploaded music (just drag and drop, like an external drive), and could also play video. I looked at several different players and eventually settled on the 8 GB Creative Zen, not only because it had the features I was looking for, but it was also within the price range I was willing to pay. In addition, the memory is expandable (up to 4 GB) since there is a SD card slot.

In short, I am completely satisfied with my purchase. The Creative Zen includes a program called Zen Media Explorer which allows you to upload music, pictures and video from your computer to the device, and looks much like Windows Explorer. If you prefer, you can just drag and drop

your music as if it were an external drive. This is especially convenient if you have music on another computer but don’t want to bother installing the Zen Media Explorer program.

The image quality seems fairly clear and crisp. I use my device often for viewing pictures. The video playback feature has been immensely useful for me. I’ve watched countless TV episodes to pass the time while on flights, or on hours-long train rides throughout China. I’ve never found the device’s sound to be too quiet, even when there was lots of background noise (e.g. on the train), or when wearing one earbud (the other shared with the boyfriend…he needed entertainment too!).

Pretty much every video I wanted to upload to the Creative Zen needed to be converted first. Don’t be fooled by the box when it says it’s compatible with a list of video ...

• formats and assume that the videos can be immediately uploaded. I think it just means the program is able to convert those formats into the format the device uses. Maybe my computer is just slow but video conversion takes a long time with the included program. I would often leave the program running for hours to convert a few TV episodes. Another drawback is that the device must be connected to the computer during video conversion. I would suggest using a different video conversion program that is compatible, if one exists (tell me if you know of a good, free one!).

The Creative Zen connects to the computer via a USB cord. However, the included cord is very short, maybe about five inches (I’m estimating, I don’t have it in front of me). This is fine for me since I only connect it to my

laptop, but I can imagine it being inconvenient if you only have access to a USB port on the back of your desktop PC tower in a dusty corner under your desk. On the plus side, the port on the Creative Zen seems to be fairly standard; by that I mean the same USB cord I use for my Canon PowerShot camera, and my boyfriend’s Sony Playstation Portable also works with this device.

The player is fairly small and sleek. The display is glossy. Fingerprints and scratches can show up fairly easily so I would suggest a screen protector. The scrolling is not nearly as convenient as the iPod’s click wheel but it’s still passable. I like that you can customize the background picture, much like how you would change the desktop picture of your computer. Overall, I have no regrets about buying the Creative Zen.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161811516560630/k2311a1118/11.18.08