Sigma 50mm 1:2.8 DG Macro Lens  » Cameras  »
  • Come on read a little more maybe I can help you to either avoid my mistakes or realize when you're making the same ones
  • The work that I did with that old Minolta outfit prior to my Lens buying binges was, dollar for dollar the best photography I have ever done

• by Hardyreels

This is the single most valuable lens I own! Bar None!

“I started drooling over bigger and faster zooms” But………

The Sigma 50mm f2.8 Macro lens will make you a better photographer if you will let it. The lens offers up unbelievably sharp results while delivering a focus range from about 6.5″ all the way out to infinity. The lens also produces a true 1:1 Macro reproduction rate on your DSLR body. Its auto focus is very quick and quiet. You can get all the technical info at Sigma USA.com, read on and I’ll give you the skinny on how to get your groove back with regard to your photography. It’s working for me!

I have a photo kit that consists of the following items:

#1 A Nikon D80 body #2 A Nikor 18-55mm f3.5/5.6 AF DX lens; #3 A Tamron 90mm f2.5 52BB manual macro lens; #4 A Sigma 50mm 1:2.8 DG Macro lens; #5 A Tamron 28-300mm f3.5/6.3 with 1:3 macro

capability;; #6 A Slik U212 tripod; #7 UV and Polarizing filters for all by Sigma and B&W

Now what would make a guy with one of those super zooms say that he likes the 50mm prime lens by Sigma the best? Come on read a little more maybe I can help you to either avoid my mistakes or realize when you’re making the same ones.

My photographic journey started back in 1980 with a Minolta SRT 100 SLR camera body and a Rokkor 50mm 1:1.4 MD lens. I retained my interest in photography because my early experiences were good ones. I returned from my first photo safari with some outstanding photos. I quickly learned to use Kodachrome 64 & 25 in order to render better enlargements and seldom shot over ASA 200.

The 50mm f1.4 was all I used and I relied on composition, lighting, and subject matter to be the factors which contributed to my continued success with photography. The work that ...

• I did with that old Minolta outfit prior to my “Lens buying binges” was, dollar for dollar the best photography I have ever done. By the late eighties I had dumped a considerable amount of cash into a pile of additional lens’s and bodies. Curiously my photography did not improve pursuant to my spending on photographic gear.

I was no longer dependant on the skills that had made me locally renowned as an accomplished amateur photographer. I was counting on a lens to produce professional like results for me. It took until 2008 and my using this D80 before I realized that it was happening all over again! I started drooling over bigger and faster zooms and 105-200mm Macro lens’s. While I was being caught up once more in the web of Lens Worship my photo quality was once more suffering. Fewer and fewer images that were worthy of enlargement were being created.

Does any of this sound familiar to you?

If

it does, do yourself and your wallet a favor and buy a Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro. I leave mine on the camera all the time and I have returned to my roots as a photographer. I use the light, the angles, and my talent for composition to create “wall-hangers” once again. From macro shots of fungi and ice crystals to sweeping Alaskan landscapes I’m back into enjoying my camera all over again. By using the tripod I can take any kind of picture, even wildlife. By using smaller aperture and careful focus and coupling them with the enlargement capability of my Nikon’s 10.2 mega pixel sensor I can even get good critter shots. Of course I still use my big zoom and the other two lens’s but I rely on the Sigma as my prime producer.

Thank You for taking your time to read this review and advisement, I hope it will help you to get back to taking better pictures and stop shopping for bigger and better lens’s.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 431311512660730/k2311a1113/11.13.08