AT&T GoPhone Prepaid Service  » Cellular services  »
  • What I found was that it was easily used up

• by Oreo

AT&T’s GoPhone prepaid plan offers a number of rate options. You can either pay by the minute, which is 25 cents per minute, or by the day, which charges a $1 access fee per day and a lower rate of 10 cents per minute. It also allows you to charge different amounts into your account, ranging from $10 to $100. Charging $100 also gives you a year before the balance expires, so you don’t have to worry about losing your leftover balance by forgetting to charge your account at the end of the month, which also leads to the fact that AT&T do allow carry-over balance. Other features include free

usage tracking, which sends a pop-up every time you use your phone and tells you how much money you just used in the last call or text or whatever other transaction. You can also check your minutes and dollar balance for free. The plan included free nationwide roaming and long distance, caller-ID, voicemail, and call waiting. The rate for texting is 20 cents to send and the same to receive.

I initially signed up for the plan on the latter option which costs 25 cents per minute. I knew that I won’t be using my phone much, and so charged $100 into my account for the whole year. What I found ...

• was that it was easily used up. Unlike my former carrier in Canada, AT&T charges you for the full minute even if you only used a second. This means that if you try to call someone who doesn’t pick up, and you hang up just as you are directed to their voice mailbox, you will still be charged for a full minute. When I was on the plan, the texting rate had been lower, at 5 cents to send and to receive, which is the only rate that I liked. Because of the high rates, I eventually switched to T-mobile’s prepaid plan after my balance was used up.

Although erring

on the high end in terms of rates, AT&T’s coverage is excellent. So depending on what’s more important to you, coverage or rates, you may opt for the GoPhone plan or another one with better rates. I had signal virtually anywhere and any time when I needed to make a call. The call quality is also very good, and true to their billboard advertisements, there were rarely any dropped calls.

If you don’t use your phone very often, but would like to have good reception and be able to call from anywhere, AT&T’s GoPhone plan may be for you. The quality of the calls and good reception may be worth the higher rate.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 221211511420730/k2311a1112/11.12.08