www.TNBEST.org  » Education  »
  • I found out about this site just last night as I was cleaning out my daughter's backpack to get her ready for school this morning
  • One 'unit' is equal to 1/100th of the cost of college per year
  • I recommend this to any parent who lives in Tennessee and isn't sure how to pay for college

• by RebeccaLynn

WOW! I found out about this site just last night as I was cleaning out my daughter’s backpack to get her ready for school this morning.

Tennessee set up a website in 2002, it would have been nice to know about this sooner, that helps parents to save for their’ child’s college education.

At www.TNBEST.org, you can set up a tax exempt account under your’ child’s name and social security number. You then buy college ‘units’ for your’ child as you can afford to do so. Each ‘unit’ costs $65.66. You can buy up to $235,000.00 worth of units for your’ child to

pay for college. One ‘unit’ is equal to 1/100th of the cost of college per year. Rather than worrying about the price hikes in college education, you lock in the price of your’ units starting with the first year that you start buying for your’ child. For example, if college tuition goes up another twenty percent next year, you still only have to pay the price that tuition costs this year and that’s permanent. So, for $6,566.00, you have paid for one year of college if the college is a state college.

There is a scale on the website that tells you ...

• how many units per year are required for each college and the units can be used at any college in the United States.

If, for some reason your’ child does not go to college, at age 20 the full amount of savings will be refunded to the child or back to you if you wish. Any unused units remaining after college can also be refunded or your’ child can choose to defer and keep the units for college later in life.

You can add units whenever you can afford to do so and so can your’ family and friends, which is what I

will request of my family and friends. Rather than money for birthdays and holidays, I will request that they just buy a college unit. I can’t think of a better gift than a college education. Especially when we weren’t sure that we could afford college!

I love this concept! It makes it so much easier to plan for our children’s college educations. I recommend this to any parent who lives in Tennessee and isn’t sure how to pay for college. You can start an account for your’ child from the moment that they have a social security number. That helps so much!

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 501011510160330/k2311a1110/11.10.08