Nokia E71
  • It has many modes to play around but I like just the idiot-proof auto mode as it allows me to take crisp and clear pictures without having to crack my brain what kind of exposure I should use
  • I think this have to do with some anti-paparazzi regulation
  • I go around impressing people with this function as I don't think many phones can do that
  • I would definitely recommend this phone even though you might think you would not need to have so much sophistication in a phone

• by Ivy Wong

I got the Nokia E71 as a birthday present from the husband. I was using a 2 year old Nokia E65 and the husband insisted that I should get a new phone even though the E65 was working fine. I did not start off liking the E71 as it was huge and looked totally like a man’s phone. And I am not exactly businesswoman-like, with that many appointments that I require a business phone to track them!

However, once I started using the phone, I realized it is quite a gem! The E71 is actually jam-packed with very useful functions and I am already discovering a few of my favorites. The large 5cm by 4cm screen allows larger font to be displayed. I personally like larger phone fonts, so I don’t have to squirm to just read messages. The colored screen also allow for good photo images to be displayed, as well as videos. I loaded a cartoon into its Realplayer

and catch bits of it while on bus rides. It has a reasonable 3.2 mega pixel camera that comes with a flash. It has many modes to play around but I like just the idiot-proof auto mode as it allows me to take crisp and clear pictures without having to crack my brain what kind of exposure I should use. The only downside of the camera function is that you cannot remove the shutter sound even in silent mode. I think this have to do with some anti-paparazzi regulation.

I initially hated the QWERTY keyboard as I have been texting via the number pad all my life. Although the keyboard has raised keys, it is still very different from typing on a laptop keyboard. I type like lightening on a laptop keyboard but go like a snail on the E71 during my first few tries. That was before I discovered the predictive text secret. The cool thing about texting with ...

• the E71 is that it has very powerful predictive text abilities. I only need to type in the starting 3 alphabets of the word and I can almost find the word that I want. This helps a lot when I am composing long messages. Now, I can text like a breeze unlike when I first started where I almost get finger cramps after every message. Oh, there is also another fun thing about messages, E71 can read them to you. I go around impressing people with this function as I don’t think many phones can do that!

There is another cool thing that I like about the E71, it is its text recognition function. Under its Multiscanner function, I can take a picture of a business card and E71 will instantly capture the relevant fields and align it in my contacts format. This saves me loads of time storing contact details from friends who pass me their business card. Also, I

can take a picture of a text and it gets scanned into text form for me. I was elated when I discovered this function. I like to collect poems from cards that I sometimes see in bookstores. I can now use this to text a picture of the text (discreetly, of course!) and it gets converted automatically. In the past before camera phones, I linger around the book store to copy the poems. With normal camera phones, I read from the picture (if it is a clear one!) and write it out by hand. Now, everything is done in a snap (literally!)

There are probably a ton more functions that I have yet to discover about the E71, but I am already happy with what I have found so far. I would definitely recommend this phone even though you might think you would not need to have so much sophistication in a phone. However, these handy functions would just make life so much easier.

Nokia E71

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 37911509010730/k2311a119/11.9.08