Lucerne Brand Cheeses Made For Safeway & Vons
1.0
  • I wanted my sister to try muenster, becuase I love the creamy buttery texture

• by auriel3000

I love cheese. It is my favorite food group (besides chocolate). I have had many varieties and brands of cheese. I have eaten cheese the world-over from cows, goats & sheep. I have even had soy cheeses. Since Safeway Market is the only available market within 20 miles of where I live, I have now become quite familiar with their own brand of Lucerne Cheeses, since they are the only reasonably priced cheese

in the market.

I have no idea what this cheese is made from as there seems to be very little moisture involved. I have tried the block and sliced medium cheddar. I have also had the block Monterey jack, pepper jack and mild cheddar. Finally, I tried the sliced muenster. I’m not sure I can tell much difference in the flavors other than I can taste the peppers in the jack.

I wanted my ...

• sister to try muenster, becuase I love the creamy buttery texture. There is no creaminess, butteriness, or flavor in Lucerne musenster. Ick. She was not impressed. When I try and grate the cheddars, they crumble to bits. When I peel the cheddar slices away from the paper - they disintegrate completely. When I go to melt the grated bits in the microwave, they stubbornly resist and just turn a darker orange color and
        get sort of mushy.

I think you get the point. This is not good, or even decent, cheese. I have no idea how they process it, or if there is any dairy product involved, it is just scary. I would try to find a Trader Joe’s if you are lucky enough to have one closer than 90 minutes away (my dilemma), or just spend more money and get a decent cheese. Otherwise - why bother?

cheese says :

Is lucerne cheeder cheese 7 mf still being made? Saskatoon no longer carries it. Thank you, Gene Patrick

Amy Milano says :

Aha Now I know I am not the only one wondering what is in this awful cheese that it does not melt

Nghtrider62 says :

I bought several packages of Lucerne Swiss Cheese and a 3 pounds of Grated cheese only to regret ever buying the grated cheese and the Lucerne cheese all together.The grated cheese Never melted over my nacho’s, it just sat there. My Swiss burgers sucked because the Swiss cheese never melted.
    I saw a story On Kraft Cheese doing Pretty much the same thing and they stated they had used WOOD FIBER as a filler and to keep the shaped of the curds in the grated cheese. As reluctant as I am to even think like that, It makes sense as to why these cheeses are not melting.
    I have stopped buying Lucerene cheese almost a year ago and Have yet to find a place to actually make a complaint to. And Safeway is mostly all that is near. So I have learned to enjoy Sargento’s Cheese, or go without.

James says :

Most cheeses are better than Lucerne, and I once again made the mistake of buying their shredded mozzarella for home pizza. Even their cream cheese has a weird plasticity that makes it difficult to spread on a bagel. I think they use rennet as a preservative that prevents it from acting like it should.

Sharon says :

I too tried this brand of cheese and it is the worst It is definitely not real cheese and we refuse to buy it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 27711507540530/k2311a117/11.7.08