The Benchmade 940 Osborne Axis Knife  » Other  »
  • Until I purchased my Osborne Axis I thought I knew what a sharp knife was
  • I would recommend that you visit a local dealer and have the axis opening and locking system demonstrated for you

• by Hardyreels

I own many clip type pocket knives and purchased an Osborne Axis made by Benchmade Knives about six months ago. Six months is long enough to evaluate a daily carry knife so here goes.

I have always been infatuated with pocket knives. Whenever my Father would take out his big Queen Steel bone scaled pocket knife I was mesmerized. In the years since I was deemed old enough to carry my own knife I have been a collector of sorts. The collection consists of sporting knives ranging from a huge Western Brand Bowie to a tiny Case stag folder.

Until I purchased my Osborne Axis I thought I knew what a sharp knife was! The Osborne is far and away the sharpest piece of cutlery I have

ever owned or used, bar none. With respect to this fine cutting edge I have not used the knife for heavy utility work so as to preserve the original edge. A careful redressing of the knife’s edge with a sharpening steel keeps it in a like new condition.

I have came to prefer one hand opening and closing knives and this one is smooth as silk. The axis locking mechanism is easily activated with either hand and when held open the blade glides smoothly into either the open or closed position. At the same time the cam feature of the lock keeps the blade safely closed while in the pocket. I would recommend that you visit a local dealer and have the axis opening and locking ...

• system demonstrated for you. I personally do not care for the liner lock type knives because they require that you have both hands be free in order to safely close the knife. A liner lock may in fact be one of the safest ways to secure the blade but if I’m that concerned about blade safety I use a full tang fixed blade knife. For daily carry and use you will be safe with the Axis lock.

The construction is very durable, the blade is held open when in use by a unique sliding bolt locking mechanism that has proven to be infoulable and sturdy in my usage of the knife. The handle is a very slim design made of anodized aluminum and is

available in either green or black. For all of the technical info on the knife you can check out the Benchmade website for all the stats.

For me the attractive features are as follows; slim profile, light weight 2.9 ounce. (you don’t even know it’s clipped in your pocket) and its super sharp factory edge. The ease of opening and closing is truly a one hand operation. Having an aluminum handle puts it into the nearly indestructible class.

Let me highlight the positives once more; * Very attractive design * Easy one hand operation * Light weight * Super Sharp!

* Very safe locking mechanism

If you are looking for a wonderful every day carry knife that will attract the attention of any friends who see you open it, this is it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 12611506850230/k2311a116/11.6.08