Google Picasa 3 beta  » Software  »
  • As the name suggests it is a beta version, but it's the best photo management software out there
  • I can just let your creativity flow with this tool, creating collages of friends, of all my various life events, etc. I can even watermark my images to avoid others misusing them

• by Akhilesh

Picasa is a free photo management software by Google, which aids you in finding, editing and sharing all the photos and videos on your PC. It automatically detects all the photos stored on your PC and sorts them out neatly for easy accessibility. You can sort the photos either by name, size or date. You can then edit them, create gift CDs, create a new album, email them, upload them to an online album, print them or post them onto Blogger.

The latest version of this software is Picasa 3 beta. As the name suggests it is a beta version, but it’s the best photo management software out there. It can be downloaded at http://picasa.google.com. It has many features

that make it superior to other photo management softwares.

1. Albums: It has a seamless interface to create albums by just dragging and dropping the photos into the album. These albums are extremely useful for me, especially when you want to create an album for an event etc.

2. Keywords and Geotag: Keywords make it a lot easier to search for a particular picture. Instead of searching all the photos for the one you want, simply type the keyword of the picture in the search field and in a moment you desired picture will be in front of you. Life is so simple with such a facility for me. Also another fun feature is Geotag, which can be used ...

• to tag you picture with the geographical location where it was taken. Not much of practical use but it’s still cool.

3. In-built Photo Editing Tools: Not all our photos are perfect and need to be edited to look good. Earlier I had to use Adobe Photoshop to edit my pictures but not anymore. Picasa has in-built photo editing tools such as automatic red-eye removal, various fixes, tuning options,12 different effects. Also, it has a tool to create a collage of elected pictures. I can just let your creativity flow with this tool, creating collages of friends, of all my various life events, etc. I can even watermark my images to avoid others misusing them.

4. Sync with

the web: Picasa can also be used to upload the photos to Picasa Web Albums and to synchronize the photos between the web and your PC.

5. Vast range of RAW image support: Picasa supports images taken from a vast range of cameras by various manufacturers such as Canon, Nikon, Olympus, etc. Now I don’t have to worry whether my friend’s photos taken from some other camera will be supported on my PC or not.

Also Picasa comes with an Photo Viewer which is simply awesome. I can personally vouch for it that it is THE best and coolest photo viewer ever developed. Watch it and you’ll know the truth. Overall, just the perfect photo management software you can find in this universe.

Achyut says :

Is there any picasa add-on for firefox, etc so that we can directly add photos to our collection while browsing the internet?

mike says :

Hey achyut - the is an add-on for firefox you can check it out here and see if it will suit your needs -

ms. penguin says :

If I got the question right,I think Picasa Web Albums, now Google Photos, makes it easy to upload pictures by drag and drop in a web interface. After that, photos upload seamlessly and you can leave it until everything’s finish. You can now browse the internet why uploading as long as you don’t close the tab.

Galega says :

As you might know Google has now discontinued Picasa and focusing on Google Images, a cloud based service. Unfortunately, there isn’t any Firefox add on for this service. There are some image add ons that you can use like that of View Image or Mozilla Image add on.

Akhilesh replies :

Sorry to say, but as of now, there is no such Picasa add-on available as far as my knowledge goes.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 30611506640130/k2311a116/11.6.08